Exhaust full of gas

My 1993 Tomos won't start. Every 10 or so cranks, it sputters for about 5 seconds then dies. I took the stock pipe off and a couple ounces of muddy gas came out of the pipe. Is this a clue as to what my problem is??

Re: Exhaust full of gas

sounds like you spark plug maybe fouled up. Take it off & see if its covered in a nice black resin of carbon. If it is scrap of the carbon/soak in some solvent/gas/carb cleaner, get inbetween the gap with some sand paper & pop it back in & try it again. I would check your intake, but not getting fire seems to be the issue. Git r done...

this is what's happening with my bike. but the spark seems strong when tested outside of the cylinder. i was thinking that there was something worng with the carb that it was flooding the engine. i should replace that plug though, who knows.

John Joedicke /

Your float needle valve is not shutting off and your drowning your engine.

but there's an overflow stem in the carb that should direct overflow out the bottom of the carb. shouldn't that take care of it?

when i got the bike the carb was full of corrosion and nothing in it worked. When i left the petcock in the PRI position, the carb would fill with gas and then overflow through the stem out a tube in the bottom. i cleaned out the carb and fixed the float, and now when I leave it on PRI, no gas leaks out, which makes me think the float valve is shutting off the flow before it overflows. any ideas?

:M

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account