new to Tomos, a few questions.

so I got my first moped, after having fixed a handful of them, and fixed to many motorcycles to count, I finely got a moped of my very own to dump money in to.

it's a Tomos with a two speed, and a A3 engine, I got it with a seezed engine, piston was stuck like you would not belive, got it free and cylender was fine after a very light sanding, going to order a new piston and rings, but am wondering on cheapest source for piston kits, my rings shatterd as I removed them, piston has alot of marks from banging it loose, so I need a new top end kit.

I also wonder about this "Kick Start" deal that it says it has, it seems that if you kick it "back words" that the engine turns over forwords? is this indeed the kick start?

Head gasket, I could not find a head gasket on the moped, or on the parts list on parts supply sites, so does the head really seat right to the cylender? what do I need to watch for with this kind of set up, commen problems and so on?

This moped came with a Biturbo exaust, or whatever it is, it's not the straighter one, but more the "S" shaped wrape around one, with what looks to be stock (46?) jetting on a Encarne carb, would this have contributed to the engine seeze? (lots of carbon build up, maybe some rust...) I would think it could have, and would prefer not to invest money in to new top end just to have it seeze again after a few miles.

Re: new to Tomos, a few questions.

I don't know why it seezed, but the kick start operates just like any other kick start on a normal bike. If this bike is like my targa LX, then you have to use the pedals as the kick start. Just put it on the center stand, and stand next to it, holding the hand grips (duh). The turn the pedal so it's in a kick-start type position. Then, kick it. It should start. If not, choke it or open the throttle about 1/3 of the way. That ought to get 'er running.

My Tomos also has the bi-turbo, but it's the straighter version. It actually would help protect against seezing, or so I would think. Better ventilation. Ya know. Then again, I don't know a whole lot about engines. I can tell you how they work from my general understanding of a cylinder and such, but taking one apart...I don't want to break something, so I leave that to the gear-heads at the shop.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

you may want to upjet. with putting the biturbo on air flow was increased meaning that you would have to upjet. i dont know what the stock jet is but i would bet money that your bike is lean. once you rebuild the engine you can check and see if that is infact the case.

John Joedicke /

Stock is 53 go to 58

John Joedicke /

Whoa that was for a dellorto carb, sorry about that didn't read all the way through.

do plug chops as soon as you get it going, and do a hone job and a proper break in or you'll be back buying new piston and rings and jug in a couple months. Look at 'smitty built polini puch' in 'performance tuning' for the master's break in procedure.

Or if you want you can check out another method of breakin which has an explanation with it.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/26430/26430/

I wouldn't call myself an expert o A-3's, but I do know my fair share about them in particular.

Your Encarwi carb: Worst thing Tomos did to a moped, since the cork clutches in the A-35. A 46 jet in it is stock. I would opt for a Dellorto, but the intake for them to an A-3 is kinda difficult to find. Your exhaust, from the defintion you gave us, sounds like an A-35's pipe, not an A-3, or even a Bi-Turbo. Pics could confirm this though... Any help I can give ya with the A-3, I will. DonP knows much about them too... He can be of much help also. He taught me a bunch about them.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account