I NEED HELP IN MANY WAYS WITH MY PUCH MAXI!!!

ok, this is sorta going to be update style.

my 1980 ouch maxi will not start, i have been previously informed that it may be my tail light (yes it is out) and i have some LED's on the way, and in the mai as we speak. so in a day or so, I'll give the news for that.

More importantly now though, how do i get to the damn light bulb in my frickin speedometer?!?!?! I'm getting my keyboard all greasy and smelly from working on my brakes and speedo just a few minutes ago. So i need answers! gahhhh! ok outburst over. I've got the speedo open to this point (refer to pic), and i've assumed that small wire cluster is connected to the light, but i can't figure out how to dislodge it. and i'm definatly not going to take a huge pair of pliers to it.....

earlier today i discovered why my brakes were messed up...i need to replace my front brake cable.

Re: I NEED HELP IN MANY WAYS WITH MY PUCH MAXI!!!

See Ya Moped Army /

You pull the speedo bulb holder straight out from the bottom of the speedo.

ok sweet, i'll try that in the morning if i get the time...which i won't...but at least i put thought into it....

crap! i just realized i forgot to go take a pic of it! oh well, prob solved any way... HEY! how easy should it be to pull that out?

also, i forgot to mention that the speedo itself is broke...the odometer works, but the speedo doesn't.

but yea, thank you.

update1, muffler Q?

Update!!

ok, i got the speedo light out, and i have officially determined it impossible for me to fix the speedo, i'd have to buy a new one. (the speedo cable works fine)

i knew my muffler was kinda icky, but i pulled it off today, and there was this like....crust around the first part of the tube attached to the bracket...then i leaned the muffler on the was, look at the speedo again, turn around and there's this small gunkish blask puddle underneath it...ugh...

is that typical for a ped stock at that age? (3722 miles on it)

Re: update1, muffler Q?

Sara,

You're always going to have some oil sludge in the exhaust pipe, especially on a stock bike. Tip it on end, and I'm sure something will eventually run out of it.

BTW - don't toss the old speedo.. if nothing else, it probably has a good case / lens.

(hint: I need one, lol)

heh, i wont toss it...the odometer works, and i can deal with a non-working speedo, it's not like 30mph is going to break the speed limit.

but if i do end up getting a new one, and you're still interested in the case, you can have it...but you have to pay shipping :P

well have you tried testing the cable. maybe its just thecable. carbon buildup is normal. put your pip in a fire or run a torch through it and heat it up. then tap it all over let it fall out. im sure you can use carb cleaner and stuff. check if your port is clogged too. have you tested your spark. the old sparkplug boots to eventually go. my ped was like that. i bought a new spark plug boot and voila problem solved. just becuase you see a spark doesnt mean its strong enough to ignite

Nope, not the cable.

I could take that muffler to class and torch it, but if my insructer found out about that, i'd have to write like20 pages the same sentance over and over of "i will not heat gas containers"...i'm not kidding, he'd seriously make me write 20 or more full pages. ad then i couldn't be in VICA either.....I'm planning on buying a new biturbo anyway...

i've tryed to check the spark, and i'm sure it's bad, but i can't get it out...the socket is too small, i need to go buy a new one, and i don't have any money till fri...maybe i could borow one till then...

thank for the input though...

update 2 I've got my LEDS!

ok, yea, the LEDs came...and it turns out that i ordered the wrong ones(for the tail lights)...it's the same bulb, just slightly differnt socket....

i filed off one of the wee little prongs though, and they fit fine now, and work like a charm! the blue on for my speedo is awesome too. although, i think some thing may be wrong with my brake light, i think the front brake button messed up...i'll figure out later...

I really need sleep now... tomorrow 3 1/2 hours of shool, 2 1/2 hours of work, and 7 hours of welding.... bleh.....

Re: update 2 I've got my LEDS!

My 2cents...the speedo not working is a perfect problem to pursue on the kitchen table. Take it apart...you have nothing to lose. I'd imagine that there is some pinions/gears or maybe a magnetic pickup inside of it that might have come loose. Try not to do more damage. Like I said, a perfect kitchen table job at the end of a long day. Jim.

one thing you can do to see if the loss of spark is from the brake light switches is to disconnect the wires from them. i believe you may have to then connect the two prongs on the wires that go to the switches. if your moped fires up with the wires disconnected, you know the problem is with a bad ground/bad switch/blown brake light.

one way to see if your bulbs are blown is to pedal the bike over on the kick stand. grab the clutch lever while doing so and keep pedaling. see if the headlight and tail light come on. then, grab each brake lever and see if the brake light comes on.

by the way, have you tried replacing the bulbs with generic 6volt single filament bulbs from the auto parts store?

i'd love to do that, but i can't get the casing open!!!

any suggestions?

ok, i pulled the wires, and put them together. the brake light flicked on, then off for longer, then on in a flash. i sense a bad connection somewhere. it was at like 10 at night though, and i have no gas in the tank...so i'll try agian today to see if it fires up.

all i've got is one generic (my boyfriend tried to give me something, or some crap like that, and ended up making me drop the other one....) and 2 leds. the leds work fine though.

Update 3 No spark!!!

ok, i found the right thing, and pulled out the spark plug...i have both brake lights connected, and still, there is no spark. when attempting to start it, the brake light flicks on, and then off once or twice, and even sometimes thrice.

Re: Update 3 No spark!!!

Jason Luther /

on a puch the brake/tail lights arent related to the spark. start at the spark plug (GET A NEW ONE [capitalized for a reason]) and work your way through the spark plug boot, wires, connections, grounds etc. is your kill switch there and undamaged?

Yeah, I think she's got a worn wire, maybe underneath the kill or "on" switch, and it'd be grounding out on the handlebars. It also could be further down the wire. It would most likely be were it goes in or out of the frame, or even a strap.

Just ideas.

_DeeZy_

I've also had bad contacts in the switch itself.

dz

ok, i just got back up stairs...

I'm getting a little frustrated.

my next i dea was yes, to check the kill switch. i don't know why, but i just have that feeling that something is wrong with it.

but mind you, i'm not too great with electrics. i'm gonna need some tips here. like if i need to, where would i find the wiring i need? or that rubber insulation that it's cased in.

ok, my paps decided to grab the spark at the wrong moment and got shocked, so there is a connection, i'm just going to buy a spark plug.

i put a post on the general board asking which proper plug i should be using...becuase it simply gets more lookers.

Ben Van Zoest /

Why don't you just put in a new tail lightbulb than she will start..

NGK B5HS or B6HS if the 5 is running too hot.

Also, depending on the year of your bike, both the head and taillights can make a difference in whether it starts or not. Best thing to do is get new lights (which you've done) and not even worry about it.

Also, like everyone said, check the wires to see if anything is shorting. It's worth a shot, and could be pretty awesome if that's all it is!

ok, thank you.

nut that leaves me just a wee bit confused. so now i shouldn't get L82C and instead get NGK B5HS or B6HS? right?

I'm probably going to try and stop at the store for a plug later today.

You can get the Champion plug, it's a good plug too, but I run NGK's and they've never let me down. I think it's all a matter of preference. Get both, what the hell, they're 2 bucks or whatever, and you can choose which one you like best.

oh yeah to get it heated you can just put it on a grill you dont need any special torch. i drilled out my maxi and got it going only like one or 2 mph slower than a biturbo. even then it could go faster with more tuning. im biturbos on maxis arent always a great thing. one speeds dont have that much low end torque and biturbos rob you of that

no, she won't.....

if you would ahve read earlier...i have brand new leds in the back...

how'd you drill it out?

just started her up...twice!! could try thrice though...the basement was filling with exhaust fumes, and they were moving upstairs.

i cleaned off the spark to see if i could get a connection, and there it be!!! had to give the carb a thurough clean before it started though.

Tomorrow i don't even have to work!! so i can just pull it up at like 3 pm...that's amazing for me.

so yea, i bring it out tommorow, and give you all a run down on she's running. didn't seem to have much of a push down stairs though...

just started her up...twice!! could try thrice though...the basement was filling with exhaust fumes, and they were moving upstairs.

i cleaned off the spark to see if i could get a connection, and there it be!!! had to give the carb a thurough clean before it started though.

Tomorrow i don't even have to work!! so i can just pull it up at like 3 pm...that's amazing for me.

so yea, i bring it out tommorow, and give you all a run down on she's running. didn't seem to have much of a push down stairs though...

woah! sorry about the major posting!

ummm...for some reason it just kept showing me some error thing where it said i couldn't recode the info sent and had some crap that said deceptison and phreako in the link....

i don't know...

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account