Exhaust Bolts Snapped Into Head Of Engine...

Hey, Please take the time to read through and help me with this...

I have a Moped Adly Fun 50cc

One day i decided ima remove exhaust and take off the restriction on it, i got under it and begin to untighten bolts that holds the exhaust to the engine, the head of the bolt snapped right off...so i decided to take other bolt off and see what id done, and that snapped off also,

So im left with a moped, no exhaust and the two bolts that connect it directly into the engine bock are snapped INSIDE the engine,

How wud i remove them?

How would i solve this?

Plz Plz Take ur time to reply

Thanks very much..

Dan

Re: Exhaust Bolts Snapped Into Head Of Engine...

Here's a tip - if a bolt is stuck and you shear off the head, that is the time to go to work with the heat & penetrant - not after you break it off flush with the case. The threaded portion of the bolt is the weakest point, and if it's going to break (again) that's exactly where it will break.

You've got a much bigger problem now. You will need: Kroil, propane torch, drill & bits and a set of screw extractors. If you have a good engine shop in the area, take the cylinder over and see what they would charge to extract the broken bits for you.

you need a stud extracter. you can get one at the hardware store for about 3 or 5 dollars. buy a small, narrow one. to fit in a 1/16 hole. you will need to locate the holes where the broken off studs are.

use a center punch tool to dent the center of the broken stud.

take a drill with about a 1/16th bit on it and drill into the center of the stud. you wont need to go in very far just about

1/8 inch or 1/4 inch.

oil broken studs

insert the stud exrtacter in the stud hole and put a wrench or vise grips on the end of the extracter so you can turn it hard. crank it to the left and it will unscrew the broken studs.

the stud extracter has reverse threads....left threads.as it tightens it screws itself into the drilled hole and cranks it out really nice

buy new studs and let it roll.............

and if it still wont budge... drill all the way through the broken stud just till you feel it come out the back...no farther....that will allow the sides of the stud to give and break loose easier

Steve Williams /

i have never found a stud extractor that works well,they tend to spread the stud and actually make it tighter in the thread,and if you break it you're in the poo,you cannot drill them out you have to get them spark eroded,i would drill them out and if that goes awry drill and tap bigger and fit bigger studs,

i would look for an aftermarket exaust for more power and less restriction. bi-turbo or technigas next if they will fit. or you can take a lont 3 ft screwdriver and drive it through the baffle hole till it makes a hole and reaches the front of the pipe. measure the pipe so you know when to stop. that will de-restrict it ...louder but less restriction....look in the exaust port too i have seen them glazed over with black glass looking stuff. someone may have sugared his gas on that one. but since you are there glance up in there...most old mufflers get clogged after alot of years. i would drive it with no muffler to see if it ran better. not far just a minute ride. get to top speed then bring it back and shut it off. it will let you know how much your muffler is clogged...... runs much better=partially clogged..... runs same not clogged

they work well for me, a life saving tool to have i have never had one not work that i can remember...

Re: stud extracters

sounds like user error to me. did you get an extracter to fit the hole right? it has got to be about the same to get a bite in the hole.....were you drinking when you tried using one?

if you completly hollow out the stud (all the way through) it will

loosen the fit not tighten it.....they come out....if you do it right....

i think steve has a bolt snaped off in his head too ......

If you have two drill it out, try using left handed drill bits, I've had really good results by using these on broken bolts.

Yes, lefthanded drill its will work good.

All you guys need is a 1/16 or maybe 1 size larger drill bit, drill it out, and put an easy-out or screw extractor or w/e onto it, remember its threaded to the left, turn it with a wrench and it should slowly come right out.

Re: stud extracters

Steve Williams /

ronnie-user error my fat,pimply arse.no professional motorcycle mechanic like myself would ever use such an extractor,they may be o.k. for the home mechanic but not the pro.why try to ridicule me when i was offering advice?

Steve Williams /

ha ha fucking ha.

Hey,

wow u cant believe i got so much help :)

first thing this week im guna re read ur replies then go and buy whats needed... and have a go...

also i noticed when i removed it, inside the exhaust and just inside the engine was half clogged with like a hard compact soot...shall i scrape all that shit out?

thats most likely carbon build up, be very careful in removing that, you dont want to scratch teh cylinder walls or the piston... make sure u pick up some gaskets for the motor, otherwise it'll leak.

I agree with Legendre.If you don't have a lot of experience with this sort of thing,and it doesn't sound like you do,take it to a professional.Especially if this cylinder would be hard or impossible to replace.I am a mechanic,and have had a lot of experience with bolt extractors.For me,they work about 75% of the time,but if they break off,then you're really in trouble.In your case,things are complicated by the fact that it was the exhaust bolts that broke.Of all the bolts on an engine,these are the most difficult to remove.Both the bolts and the cylinder get really hot while the engine is running,and they will be almost welded in there.Good luck.Peace.Jerry.

i didnt remove any gaskets :o why wud i need new ones >_<

Let it soak in penitrating oil for at least a few hours, heat it lightly to drive out the water, making sure not to light anything on fire, then like others said, useing a punch mark the center, and use a left hand drill bit that is smaller then the stud to drill it out, I like to go the full lanth to prevent the EasyOut from bottoming out, if the left hand drill bit doesn't work, then I like EasyOut that looks like a large left hand screw, the square ones are the only ones that i have broken, get the highest quality that you can find, and go slow, useing firm force, and a "T" handle from a tap and die set of possible to provide even force, if it seems to be really stuck, then you can look at drilling the stud compleatly out, and re-taping the hole, finishing it with a flat bottem tap and fitting a larger stud, not a bad idea of there is avalible metal, stainless steel can be nice either way as it takes heat better.

with a really stuck bolt, you're as likely to break the extractor as get the bolt out. if it breaks, you're probably fucked good. and as jerry points out these are exhaust bolts.

the guys at the shop can do it quickly, cheaply, and have the necessary tools should something go wrong.

you on the other hand just broke two bolts in a row.... nothing personal but getting those out with the cheap extractor youre going to buy is going to be tricky even for someone with experience.

whatever you do, do NOT drill a tiny 1/16 hole in the bolt to use a tiny extractor. almost impossible to avoid breaking a tiny extraction tool. drill it out as far as you dare without hitting the threads then go at it with a big extractor. ive learned this the hard way.

also: you need gaskets because you're going to remove the cylinder and remove all the carbon build up in it. if its built up that bad its probably time for new rings as well (if not a whole new piston and bore). at the very least they need cleaning too.

randy

Thank you....

Ill take cylinder block off tomoz and have a look,

ill more than likely get a quote on how much it would cost to get done first..

Anyone know where i can get a gasket set for a Adly Fun 50?

Or sumtimes known as her chee fun 50

:)

Is it possible you turned the nuts or bolts the wrong way to loosen them in the first place?

No Comment :o

I've never seen exhaust bolts that had anything but standard right hand threads.On the other hand,I've never even heard of the kind of moped he's talking about either.Peace.Jerry.

rofl

randy

This trick works alot of the time for me. If you have a mig welder then find some nuts close to the size of the threads then start on the stud and work the weld from the center to the nut. good luck

like the nike comercial say....just do it....

Re: broken stud extracters

Steve is on the money here - break a stud extractor and you can throw the motor away. Like a tap these are very hard and often somewhat brittle. They SCARE me.

You can try this - take a center punch and big hammer. Give the broken off stud a good whack - that will sometimes loosen them breaking the bond. Then you can use the c punch and hammer to turn out the broken piece by tapping it in a counterclockwise circle.

I have had really good luck using a large hammer directly on the head of a bolt to "wake it up" before actually trying to turn it out ( and braek it)

Just DON'T do it with an EZ out

Dan - You broke two bolts very quickly - some would learn from the first and tackle the second with an arsenal of tools including a propane torch (heat) chemicals (penetrating oil) and other tools (big hammer to "wake it up"). Since you didn't your mechanical apptitude is in question and there fore YOU SHOULD NOT USE AN EZ OUT. I'm not trying to be rude just stating a fact.

Heat the surrounding aluminum, give it a whack to break it loose then try turning it out wioth a center punch and hammer. These are easy to do, COULD work and WONT result in a broken extractor stuck in the hole.

If you fail at this you really havn't made things worse for the shop if it actually comes to that - and hey maybe you'll suceed.

Re: Just DON'T do it with an EZ out

dont use an ez out use a stud extracter. a good quality one....and how do you unscrew a stud with a hammer and center punch....wish it out......... or you could always try the poke at it with a stick method...or piss on the spark plug...

needs to be running for that to work....or let the air out of the back tire hit the horn button 3 times and fart on the broken stud.......he asked how to remove a broken stud. the answer is simple to me... a stud extracter he didnt ask how to be too scared to try to fix it. what if you take it to a head shop and they are all scared too then what?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account