To remove oil pump or not to remove oil pump

I'm pretty much planning on removing the oil injection from my TTLX. the question is do i have to remove the pump too? Or can i just disconnect all the oil lines and put in a plug to the oil inlet on the carb. What size plug do i need for the carb by the way? Premixing just gives me a lot more peace of mind, that's my motivation behind this.

Thanks,

Tbone

Re: To remove oil pump or not to remove oil pump

Yes,you need to remove the pump.The pump is lubricated by the oil it pumps.If you run it without oil,it will eventually seize up.I made a small cover plate to cover the hole behind mine,but a piece of foil tape would work just as well.As for the plug,just leave the fitting that the oil line was attached to on the intake manifold,remove the clear plastic oil line,and install a 1/8" rubber vacuum cap,available at any auto parts store.Peace.Jerry.

John Joedicke /

Do what you feel is best, there is a small group here that really has a problem with the Tomos pumps , but they are in the minority. Oh, and the sky is falling today!

The sky is (probably)not falling today,but several Tomos oil injection systems will fail today.It's not just the pump.In fact,the pump is probably the most reliable part of the system,although some have failed.My problem was with the lines.They were kinked and crushed,were coming apart at the connections,and had air in them,even though the system was properly bled,and had never come close to running low on oil.They also tend to be inconsistent,some pump too much oil,while others don't pump enough.I don't mind mixing my own gas and oil at all,it makes me feel a lot better to know that it is mixed right.Even Tomos admits the systems are not very reliable,but say they are the best they can find.And besides,mixing your own oil and gas has always been part of the moped riding experience.Now you can get mopeds with electric start.Whats next,autopilots?I say leave all the gadgetry to the scooter riders.Peace.Jerry.

John Joedicke /

Well Jerry, can I have your good pump as a spare. Might not need it as the pumps on my Tomos's (2) have run alright for 6 years now. A little maintainance and adjustments you could have solved your leaky connections with new clip on clamps, not the chincy pieces of metal that Tomos used. Take no offence Jerry, just pulling the chain. LOL

Thanks for the info Jerry. I'll work on this over the weekend. I still need to winterize my 'ped so i'll just do everything at once...

im going to be doing the same thing this weekend taking the oil injection off

mu puch oil injection works just fine :)

No doubt the system can be improved.But I found my system in this condition with less than 400 miles on the bike.It was that way when new.The damage was hidden behind the pump cover,and the mag cover,and was apparently the result of poor assembly at the factory.I could have replaced and rerouted all the lines,but once I discovered the damage,I decided I could no longer trust the system,and it would take the fun out of riding my moped,having to worry about when and where it might fail.I like to take long distance(200-300 miles)trips,and a failure that far from home would not be a good thing.These systems CAN last a long time,but from looking at it myself,and from what I've read on here,I just decided not to risk it.It's like people that say it is ok to mix in the tank.Sure,it MIGHT mix ok,but how do you know for sure?Thats why I mix in clear plastic jugs,so I know it is mixed right.Peace.Jerry.

ive never had a problem mixing outside the tank. plus breaking down far away from home is when the fun really starts. cuz then you dont have money a place to stay and a vehicle to ride and no phone to call. AWESOME

I don't carry much cash,for obvious reasons,but I always have a credit card and cell phone.I also carry tire repair stuff.On trips,I start with a full tank,and 2 more gallons in semi clear plastic jugs,marked at exactly the 1 gallon point.If I need more gas,I stop at a station,get out both empty plastic jugs,put the right amount of oil in each one,then shake them a little as I'm filling them.I fill them even with the mark,which still allows a little room to mix.I put the lid on,and turn the jugs over a few times.Being almost clear,you can turn them over and around,and make sure that none of the oil is stuck to the bottom or sides of the jugs.This may sound like overkill,and it may be,but in almost 8000 miles,I've never had a lubrication related problem.Peace.Jerry.

if you trust the oil pump you MIGHT have a problem.

if you premix you WONT have a problem.

randy

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account