professional painting

Hello all,

Has anyone ever had their moped professionally repainted? Like taken it down to a shop and have them do it with the catalyzed paint stuff? If so, how much did it cost for you? Thanks.

Re: professional painting

I know a couple of motorcycle painters.As far as cost,anywhere from $200 to to well over $10,000.Depends on what you want.Some paints cost several hundred dollars a PINT.Peace.Jerry.

if you just want a good quality paint, I don't know anyone who has exactly gotten a frame done, but has had other metal stuff done, and just asked if they could get any extra paint sprayed on their stuff for protection if they had some left over from doing a car, and ended up not getting billed at all, in theory it would have been $75, Powdercoating might be the way to go if you have the money, it's going to be more durable.

Yeah, that's what I want to do, I just didn't know if it was going to cost a fortune. I mean, I would be willing to pay $75 to have my frame/forks/fender painted definitely. Thanks for the input.

its going to cost as much as the guy who is painting it will charge you. this amount will vary wildly and probably have more to do with who you know than anything. you're just going to have to make some calls and do some legwork if you want to find the lowest price.

personally, if i took the time to strip the parts off my bike and prep them, i would feel stupid putting a 75$ paint job on it just because i liked the price... for all the effort required the actual paintjob is cheap even at thrice that price, if your time isnt free....

i would think if you prepped it yourself, a basic one color 'professional' job, primed/painted/clearcoated with a high quality paint like PGP, would start at about 200 like jerry said. but thats just a WAG. too many variables. location being one of them.

randy

Forget that do it yourself. Sand the hole thing down and get some rattle cans. I am doing this and it is looking really good. It takes alot of time but in the end you will have done it and the ped will mean more to you. I spent close to 13 hours sanding down all of my ped parts and frame. I got every nook and cranny. I laid 5 coats of rust preventative primer 5 layers of gold. Taped off what I didn't want to be metalic purple and am spraying 5 coats of purple tomorrow. Then comes 5 coats of clear and the ped will be sick as hell.

you are gonna have a hard time putting parts back on. the ped will be thicker than original

I thought of this problem and I didn't paint where parts would be covering up others.

I'd want to paint mine myself... but what happens to the plastic parts? I'd paint the whole frame on color, but then I'd have dull blue plastic fenders and headlamp. It's an FA50 by the way. I could just paint the metal blue like the fenders... but that would look funny... a fresh coat of glossy blue and dry old plastic blue.

Solution anyone?!

i just wanted to stop by and say that i like how people these days are taking the extra step and try to get thier mopeds professionally painted. rather then just letting it be all rusty and crappy.

It depends on the type of plastic.If it's hard plastic,like polystyrene or ABS,you can paint it just like metal.If it's soft,like polyethylene or polypropylene,good luck.This type of plastic is almost impossible to paint,because it is so flexible,and has the color molded in.You can get paint additives that help,but still aren't that great.Polyurethane paints fairly well,thats whats used for the soft plastic panels and bumper covers on cars,bure not likely yo find any moped parts made out of it.Peace.Jerry.

steveintoronto /

yeah, but the same plastic parts won't glue back together if they ever tear!....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account