Pinto Problems

I recently perchased a JC Penny Pinto and it doesn't run and is in need of repair, its mostly complete and all the problems seem electrical. Its my first moped and Im not quite sure what's what. Any information on the moped like where to find an owners manual and parts would be greatly apreciated.

Re: Pinto Problems

http://www.mopedriders.com

(same site, but click "Moped repair" on the top.)

http://www.mopedriders.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2

Look at Fred's guide.

Absolute first step:

Drain the gas tank.

Mix up 50:1 mix. (buy 2 cycle oil, and measure 2.6 fl oz, or 75ml and put it in a 1 gallon gas can. Take that can to the gas station and buy exactly 1 gallon of gas. Put that in the gas tank and shake it all up for a few minutes. You'll need to vent every so often)

Fill the gas tank.

Go buy a new spark plug of the same kind that is already in there. Don't bother with the old one. Report here what kind of spark plug is in it. (Champion L82C, Champion L86C, NGK B6HS, NGK B7HS, NGK B5HS, Bosch W8AC, Bosch W4AC, Bosch W6AC are all common moped plugs.)

Take your new plug and put it on the sparkplug boot, place the metal part of the plug on the metal part of the engine and crank it once over. You should see a spark. If not, then we can work on the ignition. If so - Great install it with 12 lb ft of torque. Just give it one and a half good oomphs after its tight with your hands. Should be about 1/4 - 1/2 turn after tight. Don't kill it. Its WAY easy to strip that plug hole out.

You have a device called a "petcock" somewhere on the gastank or gas line. It turns the gas on and off. Figure out how to turn the gas on.

From the pics of the pinto that I've seen it looks like there is a kickstart on the right side. There may be an engine OFF/RUN or ON/OFF, or some kind of engine switch on the handlebars. Turn it on.

You may or may not have a choke on the handlebars. Engage the choke.

Kick the starter. Kick it again. Kick it again. If it still hasn't started check the plug for a fuel odor. It should definitely smell faintly of gasoline, it might be wet. If its bone dry then we can work on the carb.

Well I'm missins the wire that goes to the spark plug and there are wires al over the place that have been cut and spliced and moved around. Does anyone know where to get an owners manual.

I'm currently restoring one of these myself. The Pinto shares its wiring (and almost everything else) with the Puch Maxi. So, you can use Puch Maxi service manuals and wiring diagrams, which are available on ebay and from places like themopedjunkyard.com.

Most Puch maxi parts are compatible too, except for the side covers and air filter (from the Puch Magnum), gas tank and fuel valve. Good luck!

I'm restoring a 77 Pinto also. I'm having some troubles with the wiring as well. I hooked everything up according to the maxi manual. I even replaced the coil, put all new bulbs in it. Still nothing. The spark plug is getting all of the juice that it needs, its just not sparking. I'm kinda lost on this one.

check to see if the wire is sparking not the plug cap, also check the points for wear and or missgapping

Thanks guys I think your information is really going to help

OK, are you ready for this?? trace/follow these wires from coming out of the block to and thru wire harness to those points.

1 yellow headlight

2 green brake lights

1grey tail light

2 blue coil and on off switch

all brown grounds

1 blue on coil and 1 brown on coil and other that run to gound out on coil.

Hope this helps

Ragstrecher

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account