Motobecane Carb float help

Hayden Stevens /

Ok.....I'm confused about all my Motobecane Carbs....standard 50V's .......they look fine inside, nothing is clogged or gunked up at all, O rings are there and everything.....but when I run an engine with 1 of the 3 carbs that is doing this...it only passes enough feul quick enough for idling or very low throttle....if you give it too much throttle the engine dies due to lack of feul.....it's not the engine because the engine I tested with works fine with other Carbs.........

My guess is that is has to be the Foat or something.....has anyone figured out the prime setting of a float....

Any ideas will help

Re: Motobecane Carb float help

Hey, this may sound like a stupid suggestion, but make sure the float is in correctly,

by this I mean make sure the pointed end of the float is sticking up. Also, go down to the local auto store and buy some spray carb cleaner, and spray it on and through all the parts, especially the jet. Hope this helps.

Hayden Stevens /

done all that already...that's a standard procedure whenever a get a new carb....and I adjusted the float on the shaft to the "correct" position....but I think it's wrong....I used an exploded view as reference... so if anyone knows for sure what the correct position is..tell me....... the position I have them at is..- if you push the pointed end of the float shaft up into the float bowl cover...there's about a 1/2 centimeter from the top of the floating part of the float to the float bowl cover....so only the point and the inside of the cover touch......(that contact stops fuel flow when the float bowl is full of fuel..as far as I know)...

So any other help would be great

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

the gurtner jets are a pain in the ass. i would put money on the fact that it is the jet still. if it were the float you would more likly be running into the problem of gas spewing from your carb. how is the petcock on the bike? does fuel flow freely from there. if not that could also be the issue.

Hayden Stevens /

the problem is definitely in the carb itself......if I change nothing but the carb....it works....(knowing that one carb is good)..... it could be the jet except that carb cleaner blows right through....the only thing I can think of is that the float is somehow preventing sufficient fuel flow.....does anyone know the correct position the float should be on the float shaft....I don't think that's it but I still would like to know...... I had a thought just now that I will try later when it's not 7 degrees out.....Maybe I should try doing an extra good job sanding and polishing the inside of the float bowl to make sure fuel can get around it......

Thanks

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account