TOMOS A3 WILL NOT CARRY LOAD

A little background, I have 1980 a3 tomos bullett given to me by family. it hadnt been run for years but with very little effort I got it running great. after about 1 week it was laid down (wrecked) in a backyard party by a drunken freind. There was non physical damage as it was at low speeds and on grass, but ever since that incident it was knocking badly and will not move me around. It would start and the tire will move quickly when it was on the stand but once you get on and try to ride it was a dog. I took the motor apart and noticed the pistin was cracked and the rings were shattered, so I repalced theses parts thinking this was the obvious problem. NOT THE CASE! When I got it back together, SAME PROBLEM only this time it did indeed sound better but still wont move my 230 pound ass. I have gone through the obvious but to no avail, everything seems and looks fine but it just has no balls. Can anyone offer any advice on the possible problem? I know very little abou this motor but I am mechanical and am surprised to be so stumped by such a simple engine. HOWEVER, I know nothing about Clutches and Transmissions therefore besides a visual examination of this area I do not know how to tell weather or not my problem lies in the crank case. Could it be the clutch or Tranny? Is there a simple way of figuring this out ? Forgive me for being such a DUMBASS but I need help? FYI I have ordered the servce manual but have not yet looked at one.

Re: TOMOS A3 WILL NOT CARRY LOAD

hey i hade a tomos a3 bullet and it was a pos it had problems moving me around and i was 150 then. we took the trans apart and check the gear ect.. and put in new tans fuild and it moved me around alot better then mabey check this first if it dont work then idk what could be wrong

mine has similar problem, im gonna take your advice, Ryan, and overhaul the tranny. thanks

no problem it helped mine good luck!!

Greg, if your piston and rings were that bad off, it makes me wonder if they didn't do any damage to your cylinder as well. I had a damaged piston that seemed to have left my cylinder intact, but in the right light I finally saw some scoring (actually, it was easier to feel for the damage than look for it.) Maybe you should get a compression tester and see what kind of compression you're getting. Even if you have a loss of compression, it might not be a scratched cylinder, maybe you need a new head gasket or something. Did you torque down on the head bolts properly?

i didnt even think of that... That the cylinder would be damaged.

Or a bent crankshaft or crankcase bearings/seals. If your pulling the cylinder you may as well at least look at the bottom end. It could be wobbling around. I would think that would break right away though.

Also you might want to take it nice and easy on those new rings/piston. Don't go flooring it just yet.

There are many things that can cause lack of power. From bad gasoline to a bad spark plug to a weak spark, to low compression. I would take the spark plug out and check the engine compression. If is above 120 psi. it is ok. check exhaust port for carbon build up, check for blocked muffler. Check main jet for partial blockage. Check for rust deposits in the gas tank. You have lots of work to do. You need to work systematically.

Well then..time to clean the pipes, eh?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account