motobecane models

Hello,

does anyone know the differences between the motobecane 50 and romp models, thanks.

Re: motobecane models

or, really, the difference between any of the post-'78 models?

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

the romp was made for one year, 1981. it seems very beefy even for a motobecane. they are sharp bikes and have painted tool box covers and different decals. as far as the engine, its the same. post '78 all the bikes had a 12 volt ignition system and the new style chain tensioner which doesnt suck. as far as the VLA and VLC models, the only difference is possibly the seat and mirrors. the VLX had a differnt pipe and was the "offroad" moped. The cady was an odd creature as well. the clutch and magneto were both on the same side, it had a front end like a bike, and a square headlight. the 7 is a very nice bike. its small and much lighter, but still a smoth ride. if you are looking for a motobecane to turn into a race bike the 7 is it unless you can get your hands on a 40 which was their ridig mount frame. the sebring was the toptank model, but it had a morini engine and was only the "motobecane" sebring for one year and then became the morini sebring. the m1 and m11 are neat bikes that i have never seen in person. the frames are a little different the m11 looks a lot like a sachs seville, very sharp looking bike. the m1 on the other hand is a throw back model. it looks like a very old motobecane. bike frame with an engine tossed on. this brings us to the 51. much like the 50 series bikes but with a reed valve bottom end. this is the engine that they are currently using on thier new bikes. they changed the name of their model that is still being produced from the 51 to the magnum. i hope that this helps you out.

The engine in the Motobecane sebring was the Franco-Morini (Morini Franco Motori, as opposed to Moto Morini - different firms) MO2.

The bike was designed and built by Motomarina (again, different firm from Moto Morini). It was sold one year (1980) as the Motobecane Sebring, then emerged sometime around 1982-83 as the Motomarina Sebring.

From what I understand, the Motomarina Sebring came with either the Minarelli V1 or Franco-Morini M1 engine.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

thank you for that correction. i wanted to get all of that down but then realized that i have an exam to study for so i did not clarify that. everything else seem pretty much correct?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account