broken spoke?

so i have a loner wheel from a friend while i am waiting on my mag rims. My rear wheel is a spoke one and it looks like one of the spokes came loose. is this ok? is my bike gonna explode? should i take it all the way off or leave it hanging in there?

domo arigato.

Re: broken spoke?

steve matichuk /

is the nipple missing from the rim so that there is nowhere to reattach the spoke to? best case scenario would be to replace it if you can, but if you're only riding on that wheel for a few days or so, you could probably just pull it out so there's no chance of it getting in the way.

it is still attached at the hub but the nipple it screws into is missing along the rim. it might be as long as a week before i get my rear mag though.

god i hate spoke rims.

Don't worry about harold, nothings gonna happen.... i sure about this one. 100%

steve matichuk /

classics......

i'd just snip it off, or feed it back through the hub and keep an eye on it. don't corner too hard and keep an eye out for excessive warping that might damage something else on your bike.

anyone disagree?

sorry, dont worry about IT, Harold.

steve matichuk /

i'm worried about harold

technical issues asside....

personally, if i lent my friend a wheel, and a spoke broke, and they didnt fix it before continuing to ride on it or ask me what i wanted done about it, it would be the last time i let that friend borrow something....

in the interest of friendship, ask the owner of the wheel what they want you to do.

randy

How much does a new spoke cost? 75 cents? and another 30 cents for a new nipple?

take the old spoke out, go to a motorcycle dealer and tell them you need a new one, install the new one and retention it after riding it for a few miles, also check that your other spokes have proper tention or they will brake too, spokes brake when they are loose, not to tight! so make sure that all of them have tention of them, and if your wheel is out of true, either learn how to fix it, or pay someone else to fix it if you want it to be around very much longer and be safe to ride on.

guys, he's riding this thing for like, one week, I've built many wheels and trued many more and so long asall the other spokes aren't falling out, sure i;d ride on it. Harold, if your wheel is gonna explode, you'd know it. If it feels solid, then no worries for one or two weeks man!

i see the light now. suggesting fixing it? thats just crazy talk... in fact, if you snip enough spokes it will save weight and drag too! youll go faster!!

just fix the spoke harold. youll feel good about it. you probably dont even have to take the wheel off the bike.

randy

lol bro i am not in a moral dilema. the "friend" it is from is a moped repair guy. he is rebuilding my bearings in some mag rims and gave me this to use cause the rear one is taking so long. I will fix it. i was asking if it would hurt the wheel not to. i have no experience with spoke rims.

you only learn from what you do. :) cheers i hate waiting parts nor would I let someone fix something for me .. buts just me.

Yeah don't do it harold, DOn't listen to them man!!!! they are just trying to scam you!!!!! Dont do it!! NOOOOOO!!!!!! Don 't fix your bike, HOW could YoU!???? AAGHHHHHAAHGGGG!Q!!!!!

HELPPPP MEEE HAARROOLDD!!!

I've been riding on a wheel missing one spoke for almost a year now and the wheel is as true as can be. Just make sure the rest of the spokes are tight and you won't have any other problems.

I have also ridden on a wheel missing 5 spokes and after about 6 months it, becasue I was lazy as hell, the wheel became extremely wobbly. The bike rode straight, but going over any 1 of the 4 grated grated bridges in Seattle was quite a shaky thrill.

some people just love to run with scissors...

randy

truing wheels

as well as truing wheels, has anyone ever heard of getting them balanced? when i rev mine on the stand i can definitely feel that there are 'heavy spots' in it as it turns.

does anyone know what i mean? could they correct sonething like this at a moto/bike shop

if its like a bicycle spoke it wont do anything. it would be good to replace it but as long as your not permanently riding on it, then it should be fine.

you can try putting tiny ass little wieghts around the wheel in different places until the wheel spins how you like it. A HELL ov a lot cheaper. If they can even be balanced, i don't know.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account