Re-Kreeming a Kreemed Tank?

Is it possible to re-Kreem an already Kreemed tank? Previous owner did it and it's not bad on the inside, but now there are pinholes from the OUTSIDE in and, after repair, I am wondering if re-Kreeming it wouldn't improve its life expectancy

Can it be done? With or without removing the previous Kreem finish? What about coating it with something else?

Re: Re-Kreeming a Kreemed Tank?

call em and ask....

(805) 386-4470

i think kreem peels over time. you dont want chunks getting into your carburetor. ask fratbone he cleaned his tanks out real good without coating it with kreem. its still clean now. you should probably just do the acid cleaning stage. and then go straight to keeping a full tank of gas. i havent had problems with my maxi since mine was last cleaned!

if its already kreemed its too late

I hate Kreem.The only way I would even consider using it would be on a tank that already has holes in it,like yours.Is your tank removable,or part of the frame?There are chemicals that will remove Kreem,but they are not safe to use at home.You don't have many options.It all depends on just how much this tank is worth,or how much it means to you.If you are willing to spend a lot of money,you can have the Kreem professionally removed,and the tank professionally repaired.People who restore antique/classic motorcycles can do this,but its not cheap,and will most likely require repainting the outside of the tank/frame.Good luck with it.Peace.Jerry.

just for the record, there are plenty of satisfied kreem customers. im not saying you should or shouldnt use it. but jerry certainly has one opinion and there are others.

which is right? do your reasearch, use a search engine, and decide yourself.

Well, yes, the tank has some holes which I am trying to repair and, yes, the tank is removeable. The Kreemed innards are pretty intact, but I was wondering if I could reinforce the Kreem after the repair or not. More preferrable would be to remove the old Kreem and use POR15, but I guess I'll need to contact Kreem directly to find out if there is any safe way to do this at home. If it becomes an expensive chore, then I'll likely just chance it the way it is. Thanks for the input.

Gave them a phone call (thanks for the number) and they said that an already Kreemed tank CAN be reKreemed. Following repairs, if tank is not rusted and peeling, all you need to do is rid tank of residual gas with Acetone or M.E.K. and recoat with the Fuel Tank Liner. No need to remove old coating or etch again.

You can add layers of Kreem over old Kreem. I've never done what you are suggesting, exactly, but when you apply it originally you are instructed to let the first coal dry, and then repeat the appliccation and drying process until you are satisfied.

My suggestion is to go for it. wash the inside of the tank with light degreaser or soap mixed into water to remove oil residue from the pre-mix gas. then set it to dry, and then follow the instructions for Kreeming.

You can usually buy just the Kreem stuff without the tank prep kit. Call around to different motorcycle stores if you can't find it.

The problem I see with using acetone or MEK is that it may weaken the Kreem that is already in the tank,and cause it to start peeling.The problem with removing Kreem(at home)is that some of it will come out,some of it will start to peel,but not come out,and some of it just won't come loose at all.There are thick spots and thin spots,there are places where it is stuck really good,and there are places where it isn't stuck so good.It's kind of like removing paint,except that you can't get to it,and you can't see inside the tank to be able to tell whether you got all of it or not.Good luck.Peace.Jerry.

I Kreemed a tank, and apparently I missed a spot as well, and thought about re-coating it, but insted I found the pin holes, cleaned and dried the tank, standed around the holes, and give them a good coat of JB weld, making sure it was sealing up to bare metal that didn't have any oil/gas residue, after it drys you can sand and paint it to match with tuch up paint, I've fixed float bowls, gas tanks, all sorts of stuff like that with JB weld, and never had it fail unless I hadn't cleaned the area good first.

I would also rekreem the tank along the lines that Bret pointed out. To be sure that I got the tank dry I'd set up a blow dryer with air only (no heat) about 6 inches or more from the tank fill and have it circulate air for a few hours out the gas outlet hole (this is what I did when I kreemed my tank - you'll get superb results). One of the best ideas I ever got was from mopedlar (haven't seen him post lately). Once you are done and hook up your fuel line, put a big exaggerated loop in the line to the carb. You can even double loop. The loop's bottom should be well below the carb - it can/should be visible. If anything comes loose in the tank it will find its way to the bottom of the loop and not make its way back up to the carb. Assuming you use clear fuel hose, you'll see the stuff accumulate over time and you can disconnect it periodically to clear the line. The loop will not affect flow or performance (actually, flow and performance improves as you reduce the likelihood of clogged filters). Jim

a clogged fuel filter is a good thing. it means that crud didnt get to your carb. putting a loop in the line instead of a filter seems a bit hillbilly and only effective against certain types of crud.

if your filter keeps clogging, that is a symptom of other problems, not the problem.

but hey. to each his own.

randy

Hillbilly...maybe, but it works. BTW, you use both the filter AND the loop. Tank--->Loop--->Filter--->Carb. Jim.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account