Removing cylinder studs

My studs are stripped, so I need to remove the old ones. Has anyone ever done this before?

Re: Removing cylinder studs

Yup. I had quite the time with mine. Get a new set first of all. Don't putz around with the old ones. I used penetrating oil that I dripped down the length of the stud. Then I cleaned the end of the stud with carb cleaner, let it dry, then went at it with a pair of needle nose vice grips. Mine came out easy enough, had only one troublemaker...

Use red loctite on the new studs, and get an old style beam torque wrench to put the head back on.

Removing cylinder studs

If you have some usable thread on the end, thread two nuts onto it. Tighten them against each other. Then, using two wrenches, start backing the lower nut (closest to engine) out, while maintaining the tension between the two. This will cause the whole stud to want to rotate. It works really well, especially if you don't want to rip them up with vice grips.

nice tip.

randy

if its an option, which it may not be for you, i usually weld an oversized nut onto the studs then use an impact wrench to get them out. the hammer action really does the trick, but it only works if you have access to a mig welder

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account