puch magnum mkII bogging down & not much power

i recently got a non-running '79 puch magnum mkII. it seems to bog down when i give it gas, and when i finally do get 'er revving as high as she'll go, there's almost no power...if i try to go up an easy incline she'll slow down and eventually just not go any further.

i've de-rusted the gas tank, cleaned the fuel line and carb, made sure the airbox is breathing, it's got a newish biturbo exhaust, and cleaned out the cylinder.

anyone got any ideas? thanks alot.

Re: puch magnum mkII bogging down & not much p

clean your airbox, run a plug chop, put in a new plug and check your timing.

Did you put a larger jet in when you installed the Biturbo?

You need a #68 or #70 jet depending on the size or the carb!

alright...got a new plug(tho the old one was in good shape), got a larger #70 jet, the airbox was perfectly clean, and still no power....it runs, but has no pep at all. any other ideas? thanks for the tips, folks.

maybe your timing is messed up. i had a motobecane that had NO POWER and i mean NO POWER and all i had to do was adjust the timing. there are many dispshits out there and who knows who has been messing with the bike before you got it.

You could have a compression leak somewhere. You can get a compression tester at Sears for $25. You are supposed to hold the throttle wide open while testing. If you don't want to shell out for a tester, you could try spraying some carb cleaner around your head, base, and crank gaskets... if you hear an increase in RPMs, you'll know it's sucking in air there.

Have you changed the tranny fluid?

If it is over-filled it will cause symptoms like what you are describing :P

As you can see, it's hard to isolate LOP problems without a lot of troubleshooting. All of the scenarios offered here could cause power loss. If it's been sitting a while, the first thing I would check would be compression (which could be leaking as far back as the transfer seal in the crankcase - most non-running Garellis I pick up have that problem), although I did see a Magnum with the clutch cable too tight run like that - your clutch could be staying engaged.

is your bike loud, like louder than you would expect? is so, your pipe is probably loose. Those biturbos aren't meant to fit on magnum cylinders or frame. and a too large jet. (my guess. but my ported cylender can't even go above 72, and i've been working on a magnum for like the last three hours.) Oh and it works great for power to advance your timing all the way. (turn stator plate all the way clockwise for two-speed, counter for 1-speed)

hope this helps/

They do make a modified Biturbo with an angled pipe that fits the Magnum :P

frat, can you just use the header from a regular magnum pipe with the Bi-turbo, or would you be wasting your time? Basically, is the Bi-turbo header bigger than the magnum one? Or, is there a way to start out w/ the regular header and then weld the Bi-turbo on at some point?

The Biturbo header isn't that big so they may be the same... you could probably measure it and compare the two..

I have a Stock pipe here somewhere and I'll dig it out later and take a look at it side-by-side and let you know!

The only difference in pipes is the header pipe so I don't see any problem as long as it is as open as a regular Biturbo :P

i didn't know they made magnum biturbos, or is this one of those home-brewed deals?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account