headlight tries to kill engine

steve matichuk /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

when i turn my light on while riding, my engine wants to die. the power surges up and down until eventually it'll stall out. i have to turn the light off periodically to get the revs up so i can turn it back on again, and if i try to idle while stopped with the light on?- forget it!

also, the horn and light won't work at the same time, kind of perilous at night in the city. the bulb looks like one of the old kind with a really large, elaborate filament inside (compared t the size of the bulb). could these problems be eliminated by replacing the bulb with something more current (pardon the pun), or is there even some newer technology that will fit my 6V bulb socket without rewiring the whole rig? there is no battery on this bike, it's a '75 PC50K1 and runs off a magneto coil.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account