How To Tighten Cylinder Studs

Well, I need to take out the old ones and install the new studs. Im having an extremely hard time to tighten them. I was using vice grips and trying to tighten them like that but it hasnt worked. Is there any other way of doing it? Thanks.

Re: How To Tighten Cylinder Studs

Vice grips will never get it tight enough and will only slip and strip the bolt!

Get a deep socket....

Use the correct tool!

I usually double up a pair of nuts and use a socket. Vice grips always slip and mar up the surface when you try to get them tight.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Ya I don't use vice grips ever. They are almost completely useless. Get a deep well socket or a crecent wrench.

Ok well I tightened them pretty damn good now plus I used some lock tight. I was tightening one of the bolts on the stud to make it tighter, and now the bolt wont come off the stud. I tryed to take it off but it just keeps spinning in the same spot. Damn now what the hell should I do?

Bump I dont know how to take it out! Someone help

dude in order to get that bolt off you have a 95% chance of fucking it up. for future referance tighten 2 bolts together halfway along the threading and use that to tighten it. I have taken a bolt off like yours once and it was pure luck i didnt fuck up the threading while i was at it. i used 2 vice grips and a whole bunch of wd40.

WOW Im fukced.

it happens man. its not that big of a deal. use the force!

you striped the threds on that spot, you should take the stud out and put in a new one, if you are in a tight spot then you could either crack the nut with a nut splitter, cut it with a dremel, or pry on it in the direction that you want it to come off, while turning it in hopes that it catchs some threds without ruining them as well, personaly I would cut it off, less damage to the stud.

Not if you learn a valuable lesson...

Use the correct tool next time! :P

You could have someone weld the nut to the stud, and remove them as one piece, You will then need a new stud and nut, however.

actually, two sets of big heavy duty vice grips will give you an amazing hold, that way you dont fuck up the threads or get nuts stuck on.

Marc

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account