running too rich (fuel wise)?

ok.. so i figured out that through what other people are saying, in the same conditions as they are, that my fuel is running to rich. i have to power up until the gas starts to run low in the carb (after i shut off the fuel line). what can i do to fix this? i have a 96 tomos targa lx. any help is appreciated

Re: running too rich (fuel wise)?

and after i wrote that, i went out and played around with the gas fuel line, and i deconnected the fuel supply. after a few tries, when the gas was low in the carb, it runs so much better and it gets enough power to get in gear. then it rides great for about 60 feet, and then the gas runs out and it dies. would a lower numbered jet help? i dont want to break open anything yet i want to wait until i have all the parts i need so i can do it all at once.

no man. you have a problem with fuel flow. clean your petcock, get a new fuel filter and then check back with us. something is not letting gas into your carb fast enough. that 60 seconds of power you had was from the gas that is sitting in the float bowl.

but the thing is, it doesnt run good at all until i shut off the fuel and get some of the gas thats already in it burned. then its low enough that it runs with enough power to move.(thats the only time i could get it to move). im going to try a new fuel filter anyway so i dont think it would hurt to clean the petcock.

ahhhh. well i will need others to confirm this but your float might not be working. it could be filling up too much or something. that sounds like a really wierd problem. the first step though is always to make sure your fuel system is working correctly.

ok.. will do. ill try to find a way to check all of it.

Don't listen to Harold. He doesn't understand what you mean. You need to down size your jet. What you can do to test this is to take off your air filter. If it runs better than you need a smaller jet. If it runs worse you need a bigger one.

ok. thats along the line of what i thought it would be like.

why change your get when you can just add or remove some restriction from your airbox? duct tape and powertools are mans best friend. fuck canines.

im at my moms house. all my tools are over my dads, and i wont see him for 2 weeks. so im limited to basic tools, and some duct tape, cause every sane person uses ductape in some redneck way, one time or another.

ill try your way first harold. any other tips or suggestions before i go ahead with it tomorrow?

The question you have to ask is if it's getting to much gas, and the jet size is at fult, how did it get that way?

there are alot of things that will make any engine run rich, and unless it's badly worn, or someone reamed it out, or replaced it, the jet is one of the last things that will do it, dirty air cleaner is the first, also that the choke is not on, that the float valve is not dirty and getting stuck open flooding the float bowl, I'm not sure if these have a jet needle or not, but if that is set to the wrong notch that will make it run rich as well.

if it's running rich all the time, then it should start fine cold, without choking, and run worse as it warms up, if that is the case then someone tuned it while the engine was cold.

ok.. ill look into everythign tomorrow, especially the air filter. i just got this bike sunday night, so im still kinda iffy about what it has had doen to it. thanbks guys for your imput, its been helpful so far. it got me to run it for more then just a few seconds.

If he is running to rich then what would duct tape do. Use you head harold. He would have to take off the air filter and then he would be sucking shit into his carb. I would do what I said and just rejet for the money its worth it and you bike won't look like some pile.

this bike is so dirty right know i cant find half the things on it. where is the air filter? im not sure what type he put on it. i need to seriously clean this b4 i work on it.

steve matichuk /

look for the carburator on the top-side of the engine. the end that doesn't connect to the block connects to the air intake/filter. there's probably a little plastic cover over it that you'll have to unscrew.

i did.. i took the air intake off and there is no air filter.

then befor doing anything, I would look in to getting an air filter, it's not going to run right without one, if you can't get/aford a proper filter, I've gone with filter foam, it's an open cell flexable foam, you can get it at lawn mower repair shops, hard ware stores, motorcycle shops, if you are lucky you'll be able to get flat sheets, and sew your filter up out of that, basicly making a sock that fits the air intake, if you can't get sheets, then get a premad filter of as large of a size as you can afford, and cut it to the disired shape, leaving a little extra to sew with a normal needle and thred, making big loos stiches that are just snug enough to keep dirt from coming thru.

cleaning all the shit from your bike was a GREAT IDEA.

a clean bike is a happy bike :)

well today i took some parts off the carb then put them back on, just to see if everything in it was ok.. i ran it again, and i got it to idle, with the choke on, at full throttle. but it wasnt enough to give it power to get in gear. it was never able to run with the fuel line on, with choke and full throttle before. what else can i do to get this thing to run better? different jet? different air filter? any input is appreciated.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account