Getting my Express up and running

Yes, this little monster is a challange. Found out my dealer can't replace the oil sight glass. So I found a rubber plug that works. Found out dealer can't replace oil hose from tank to injector. So I bypassed the injector and went to premix. Found a rubber plug for bottom of tank.

Now, do I have to loop the hose on injector and does it need to be full of oil? Also where is the inspection hole for fluid drive oil. What kind of oil and does the oil leak out of the drive housing as I'm still getting oil under the bike but, why and from where? What kind of manual is out there maybe on ebay or other source? This little Honda is a NC-50 Express. A 1980 model. Seems to run OK. But the brake cable for no reason froze up on me. What is that? How much do they cost? Bet the dealer does not have one of them either. Fun?

Thanks for any help fellow army members.

Dirk

Re: Getting my Express up and running

Leon Swarmer /

Dirk,

First of all look up Jax 184's guide to garage sale expresses.

do a search in this forum.

2nd your dealer isn't doing you any favors.

mine got the oil tank to injector hose (and filter) in a few days.

3rd. look at http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/honda/express/hexpresssm.htm

4th which brake cable froze up? Can you move the brake arm at the wheel manually

5th oil should not leak manual will show you where to drain/fill and what enigne oil to put in the tranny.. I'm pretty usre it is 30wt non detergent..but check it.

6thI can't tell you how to disable the oil pump

As far as the oil sight glass on the tank. What a pain in the ass that was. I had a leek in mind and ended up destroying it getting it out. I put a grommet in and a chopped off hunk of a 3/8 extension. Needed to make sure it was in really really good. I am using my injector and didn't want to loose oil.

As far as disabling the injector, Take it out and remove the shaft that links it to the motor. It will pull out of the oil injector body. Put it in a safe place with oil on it (for when you get tired of premixing). Then you need to reinsert the oil injector with all the tubes plugged up. You've plugged the tank end but most important is to plug where the oil goes into the intake (or carb not sure of the 80 version).

Most of this stuff is available on ebay look now you'll see (search on NC50 and then on Honda Express).

The oil injection works well and it's easy to see that it's doing its job.

The Japanese engineers made this scooter to act as primary means of transportation in there part of the world. Nothing was put on these Hondas for no reason. Consider minimum modifications.

I just finished a 78 and I love it. My only mod was an in-line fuel filter and to plug up the oil sight glass.

The brake cable sounds shot. Is it the front or back?

Mike

PS it's not unusual for folks to have as much fun tinkering around with these things as much as riding them.

Alexander Orange Moby Syndicate /

Okay, you guys, this is very important. HOW EXACTLY did you plug up your sight glass? I diked out the whole oil injection system, tank, pump, and all because of that little POS. No kind of glue or sealer will stick, the sight glass itself is impossible to find... It's a nightmare.

If you can tell me a good long-term solution to this problem, I will owe you 10,000 blowjobs.

-Alexander

Do you have a kobta tractor dealer in your area, they ordered a oil sight glass for me they use on them, it came with a double lip groummet and glass

Alexander Orange Moby Syndicate /

Really? And it fit? On an express? Do you have a part number?

-Alexander

I just got around to realizing you sent me the manual.

Man, thanks a bunch. I needed that. But now the little sucker is laying down on me and refusing to start. So that's where I'm at now.

Dirk

Dirk,

So anybody in the same situation can see, I'll answer you here.

In my hurry to ride, I ran my scooter with crap in the fuel system. It ran all right but really crapped up the carb.

The carb on these peds are very sensitive so step one (even before you get it running again) is to go to a lawn mower or cycle shop and get an in-line fuel filter (you will thank me later). One of the things the little Asians didn't think we would do is run crappy gas with lots of junk in it. I did and I suspect you did also.

Once you have the fuel filter, pull the carb off and get really familiar with it. It's simple and because you will be prone to clogging it, get really good at taking it off and cleaning it. It's truly a very simple machinism.

Let me know if and when you're ready to clean the carb.

I describe my step by step if you would like.

The general rule is if it ran today and won't tomorrow, It's normally the carb. If you ran it with old gas or without cleaning out the tank, the carb jets are most likely clogged.

Mike

PS I've done as many different stupid things as you can do. Be honest when you describe your situation. No one here will judge you. We've all been there.

Leon Swarmer /

What about it bumpy? got a part #?

Leon

Don't have the part# this was over 10 years ago. do remember it was the part for a L2650 DT tractor transmission fluid level sight level. and can't remember what I had to do to use it

OK Mike, I'm going to put your ideas into action. I'll keep you informed as to progress. As of now the Express is behind about three other projects. But I'll get to it. But, don't you think maybe carb picked up rust from inside tank? Fuel filter first then clean the carb. Yes sir.

Dirk

Fuel filter first to keep you from being tempted to run on unfiltered gas again.

I did and had to clean the carb again.

Good Luck !!

Mike

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account