clutch cable on my puch

im trying to replace my clutch cable because my old one snapped and i got it hooked up but i must have done something wrong because its not working at all. anyone know what might be wrong? oh. its a puch newport

Re: clutch cable on my puch

YOU COULD BE DOING TWENTY THINGS WRONG!

we need some more specifics and a picture = 1000 words.

heres a run down though. line the cable up in the actual lever and tighten it down. then run the cable to the clutch. pull the arm back and stick it in. then tighten it with the bolt contraption in the middle of the cable. then tighten all the slack out of the lever. then make you adjustments as needed.

i did that... when i pull the clutch lever it pulls back the actual lever so i would assume its hooked up right. but the engine doesnt respond at all.

Not to be a dweeb, but have you ever had this running and do you know the proper way to start it? The reason I ask is because you say that the engine doesn't respond at all. Are you pedalling and then pulling the clutch lever to start it and the engine is not engaging? Is that what you mean? If so, then there is too much play in the cable.

yah just keep tightening it. you might need to give the bolt thingy some slack. then tighten it at the lever on the handlebars. then start tightening the bolt thingy again till you can get it to respond. your clutch might just be really worn down.

yes. i have had it running (everyday until the cable broke this weekend) and i know how to start it.

i dont think its slack though, because i can see it pulling the actual lever all the way out and at one point i had it so tight that the lever couldnt go all the way back down.

I don't think it needs to go all the way back down, but I could be wrong. I have one where the lever is just off of "engaged" but there is still a lot of tension in the line. As long as the clutch is not engaged, that lever doesn't have to return to a normal "resting" position.

Directly from page 50 of the Puch Service Manual '80-84: "When fitting the starter lever ensure the lever is installed correctly. Before the starter clutch engages fully, the lever should form a RIGHT ANGLE with the starter cable."

The clutch lever, by their definition, is that piece at the top of the clutch shaft held on by a small circlip. If you look at its design carefully, there is a section of it that is straight, whereas all the rest of it is designed with curves. The straight portion should be at a right angle to the chassis of the bike (as well as the starter cable, which is also parallel to the bike).

See if yours is. I don't know, but if there are photos on the mopedriders.org Manual Section for Puch, maybe it will be clearer.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account