Problem starting my Puch Maxi II

(Casserollers) Gregory B. /

New to the boards. I've been meaning to sign up for a while now.

I was wondering...

Is there a shop around Minneapolis that will do repairs on mopeds? I have a 1979 Puch Maxi II that I can't get started.

It was running a few days ago and I've tried several things to get it started.

I put a new spark plug in and cleaned the gas tank. All the connections on the moped are correct and the carb was cleaning out recently.

Is there anyone in the Twin Cities that could take a look at it for me? Someone that can talk to me that I can throw them some money to help fix?

Thanks everyone!

Gregory

Re: Problem starting my Puch Maxi II

Yeah, Ryan Scott has a shop up that way. He's a Retrospec

http://mopedarmy.com/members/view/retrospecs/ryanscott/

(Casserollers) Gregory B. /

Thank you so much! If you know him, tell him to check mail!

Don't waste time at a shop. First thing make sure you have a spark, if not clean and adjust points. Make sure carb and petcock is clean. Then check compression. Put your finger or thumb over the sparkplug hole. Have someone try to start it with you finger there. If it blows it off then its not your compression. Be sure to hold it hard on there. Also make sure your piston is moving and you shaft isn't broke.

lol make sure your friend doesnt mind having his finger blown off. it reallyt hurts just to let you know. lol

That's bad advice... spoken like an expert who has been working on mopeds for a week lol

Even a motor with bad compression will blow your finger offa the hole lol "P

yeah thats right. all you would know is that it has some compression which doesnt really help. think of it this way a bicycle pump can blow your finger off the hole. but thats only like after 15 psi. but you need like 25-35 psi to fill a tire up. now compression in a cylinder is high too and having it blow your finger off isnt saying much. kinda like testing the strength of a gun by seeing if it shoots through paper. get what i mean?

Leon Swarmer /

Check out Fred's guide under resources, articles, at the top of the page.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account