Muraitic Acid

Can muraitic acid or how ever it is spell be used to clean up an aluminum cylinder and head? I would like some input before I try it. Or will it be like putting aluminum foil in drano. Thanks Unknown

Re: Muraitic Acid

no! bad idea! it will eat it away!

tried it on a carb one time put it in and a violent reaction tock place pulled it out in about 15 seconds and half of the carb disloved turned to junk in 15 seconds dad stuff never use on alumium

Yeah,it will eat aluminum fast.It's great for removing rust from steel though,especially the insides of gas tanks.Jerry.

go get some mag wheel cleaner."eagle 1"brand works good,smells like coke(the drink).leave it on for about 5 minuets and viola.

Thanks for the info.

Guys here toss muriatic acid into the equation with far too much of a cavaliere attitude! It's acid, guys! Treat it respectfully and carefully and damn! read the label!!

Muriatic acid can be used to remove the silver plating from mirrors! It's that powerful. It is also damn toxic when mixed with the silvering, creating an immediate reaction that can literally choke you to death in short order. If it can do that, you know you gotta read the label before you have a death by misadventure.

You are correct.I have been using it for years with no problems,other than getting a whiff of it a few times that burned my throat.That has not happened recently.Make no mistake about it,it can be and is dangerous,and I certainly do not recommend that any kids use it.Also,remember that while the acid itself is dangerous,its the chemical reaction when you mix it with another substance,like metal,that can cause a violent reaction.It can get very hot,and splatter all over the place.If it gets in your eyes,you will probably loose your sight.I always recommend wearing a full face shield when using it.Glasses are not enough.You don't want scars all over your face do you?But,all of the above aside,and after taking all the safety precautions,nothing I know about,absolutely nothing,even comes close to being as good for removing rust from iron or steel.And the stuff is dirt cheap on top of that.JUST BE CAREFUL WITH IT.Jerry.

Oh good god...

I want to go blind and look like frankenstein!

Can you be a little more dramatic?!?!?!?

Brian Mikami /

I worked with a form of it in my detail biz. Very strong stuff, good call on the mag wheel cleaner, it's probably a diluted version so it should have more work time, just rinse with water to stop the acid. Keep checking, leave any acid on aluminum too long and it will 'burn' and darken it. Still, be carefull...nothing dramatic about being safe and taking all precautions, best to be fully informed of the dangers when using chemicals. Good luck, let us know if the wheel cleaner works, my motor still looks new and I know Smitty wanted to clean up some motors.

Jerry,

Sounds like serious stuff. Would that melt/dissolve Kreem? I have a moped gas tank and the previous owner kreemed it and did a terrible job. Now the danged thing is rusting badly with kreem falling off in the inside.

After an acid treatment, what would be the best material to stop rust from ever developing in the tank? I've heard of Kreem and POR-15. But, as I have seen, Kreem just adds rubber-like junk to the inside of the tank. I'd rather to have a hard, thin enamel-like coat in the inside of the tank rather than a rubber foam.

If you have any suggestions or recommendations, I would really appreciate the information. :)

Best,

EK

EK... Por 15 makes what they call a "Heavy Duty Cycle Tank Repair Kit" and it's designed for use on a tank that has been previously Kreemed. I think it's just their standard kit along with some pre-cleaner that will remove/dissolve the old Kreem.

http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=321

use phosphoric acid instead it works much better on moped parts i used to clean out my gas tank. use coke cola as a quick subsitiute

Yeah,it's serious stuff,but I doubt that it will remove Kreem.Muriatic acid,which is actually hydrochloric acid,is extremely corrosive,and will attack any kind of metal.Thats why it removes rust so well.Problem is,Kreem is polymer based,and will not react with acid.Muriatic acid comes in plastic jugs.Thats one of the reasons I don't like Kreem.No matter how good its done,it will eventually start to peal off somewhere,and once it does,and gas gets behind it,it just keeps peeling.Trouble is,there are always going to be some spots that just won't come off no matter what,since you can't get inside the tank to scrape it off.Once you use muriatic acid CAREFULLY to remove the rust,just keeping premix in the tank should prevent further rust.Sounds like you've got a real mess.I wish I knew what to do about it.You could fill the tank full of MEK(another very dangerous chemical)which is a solvent for most paints and plastics,and let it soak for a few days.The main thing with this stuff is,don't breath it,and don't get it on your skin.It will penetrate your skin in a matter of seconds,gets into your blood,and kills brain cells by the millions.And you thought muriatic acid was bad.Good luck with it,whatever you decide to do.Jerry.

and kills brain cells by the millions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well now, that's something I surely don't need!

If I'm going to likk any brain cells, it will be from good Scotch.

Driftwood,

Thanks, appreciate that link. I'll definitely get a kit. Would you know what POR 15 is like in the tank? What I mean by that is, what material is it, and how well does it adhere to the metal?

EK

Jerry,

Thanks, I really appreciate that. It sounds like I'm going to have to buy one of those POR-15 cleaners as Driftwood suggested, and then use muraitic acid to remove any loose parts. The next challenge is deciding what to do after everything has been done.

I have never used POR-15 before. (Not the cleaner, but the actual tank cover) What is it like? Is it like KREEM?

I'm thinking about maybe checking out how to put some of that enamel-like stuff in the inside of the tank. I have seen some tin mugs that has enamel on it, as well as some cooking pots/pans with that thick enamel on it. I think maybe that material would work? I'm not sure how gas would affect it. Another possibility I've thought of- teflon coating in the inside. But then again, I'm not sure how it'd react to gas.

The gas tank I have is an absolute mess. It's making me nervous... It may be a matter of time before it has gotten so bad that I'd have to discard the whole frame and get a new one, and that's something I really don't want to do.

EK

you could possibly try some xylene for removing kreem, it melts styrofoam cups real quick

you can get a quart at a hardwares store for about 5 bucks

i have a kreemed bike and its starting to peel around the filling hole

Does your tank leak?If it doesn't,I'd just get as much of that crap out out of there as possible,install a large inline fuel filter,and let it go.Putting more stuff in there will just make the problem worse.Jerry.

Jerry,

It doesn't leak yet... Basically the last owner put in a smaller petcock and it's not screwed in- he just kreemed it in and shoved the petcock in the hole without screwing it in. So, the kreem is holding the petcock in and that makes me nervous. Every time I turn it on and off, it is begging to come off.

I would like to do a full restore, you know, off the frame, and make it a beauty. It's really nice as it is already, just the tank's pretty bad. I'm hoping to stick with this one for 20+ years.

Maybe I'll just get a new frame. I would LOVE if I could find a NOS frame.

EK

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account