Spark Plug brand differences?

OK, 1980 Batavus Starflite II 30mph version. I just got this one running very well (timing mostly - some carb leakage I fixed too). Spec recommends an L82C (champion) or actually a Bosch W240T1 (which is the new W4AC). Newer fuels require a hotter plug (or so I've heard), so the L86C is the overwhelming choice, or the Bosch W8AC.

I had a new L86C which I have been using all through the repair and testing phase. Now that I put it on the road I went to get a new plug from Advance Auto Parts here in south florida. (We just had Hurricane Wilma come through so there is an awful lot of trouble with parts availability and such), so the only one they had was an Autolite, that was supposedly the same as the L86C.

That Autolite doesn't run for crap! Its gapped right at 0.030 like it should be, but It wouldn't start at first, it actually flooded it, and after it cleared out, I was only able to get it going VERY crappily at almost full throttle. As soon as I was starting to back it down, it died and wouldn't start again. It flooded, soaked the plug. I took that Autolite out and put the Bosch W8AC in, and it started right up! Idled and everything. Just to test, I put the autolite back in, and it had the same problem. It wouldn't run for anything! Put back the W8AC, good as gold....

So....... I'm staying away from Autolite plugs for this ped.

Re: Spark Plug brand differences?

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm pretty so-so on Champion plugs. NGK and ND are my picks, with Bosch as a good substitute. Would never want to run stuff like Autolite, AC/Delco, Champion etc in a moped.

Ya cheap plugs are crap. If I were you I would go out and buy some nice plugs. Don't just get one. When I buy plugs I buy good ones and I buy about 5 to 6 of them. They don't go bad, and its crap to have to run out and buy a shit one like you did. I just keep some spares. Shit in my sled I keep about 10 of them.

L86C crosses to NGK B5HS and B6HS, with B5HS being the hotter of the two. Until my jets get here I think I'll go get at least one B5HS if I can find it. Any recommendations on the heat range for a properly jetted 80 batavus 2/30mph? Plug chops I know, but any idea where I should start?

There were an assortment of used plugs in the saddle case when I bought this moped. One of them being an EXTREMELY fouled B7HS (even colder, probably equiv to a L82C.)

BTW this bike still had its breakin jet installed (#58) and it has 947 miles on it. Twas supposed to have been changed at 500 miles but I guess someone forgot, or just didn't know. I'm willing to bet thats why I keep fouling plugs. Come on USPS.

Well I cleaned off the L86C as well as I could with a brass brush, didn't seem to make much difference, but it did zing right up and go. Spent about 45 minutes riding around the apt complex here, about 5 miles total, at varying speeds, until it stalled out. Looked wet and oil fouled. Cleaned it again, and it started right up. For S&G I put in the autolite (to torture myself I guess). and sure enough, it wouldn't go. Put back the champ and off I go for another 5 miles. Good thing I never EVER put autolite in my car, I'd be pulling my hair out.

People think Im crazy but Champions make my Puch run great!

The Autolite number should be AE 32. Is that what you've got there?

Autolites,Champions,and ACDelco are cheap plugs,but they should still work.I like NGK.Plugs are cheap compared to engines,go up one heat range at a time until you find the right one.I'd much rather foul a plug once in a while than burn a hole in the piston.Jerry.

champions are great, i seem to recal having a serious problem with an ngk...musta been a fluke, im running ngk's (br9hs and br8hs) soon to be br8ix/br9ix (iridium)

screw everything else, ive seen the autolites with the corroded cheap ass metal casings...

I run NGK's and Champions... Ngk's run smoth bit Champions really fire it up and I swear it goes faster "P

Well I do believe its an Autolite 425 (stock or sales number). When I come home from work today I'll see if I can find the proper number on it. I think it has a resistor, which would explain the poor spark and performance.

I would swear by Autolites. I have used them for years, actually I just changed out the one in my chainsaw after 10 years. I used Champions in a hay baler of mine and they lasted 10 minutes. I still have the original Autolites that I swapped the Champions out for and that was 5 years ago. You probably have the wrong Autolite.

some cars recommend, or require autolite because the autoites work the best in that particular engine. For the most part however, champion and ngk have a dominance in the field. I see them every day at my shop, and the ones that are REALLY disgusting usually have no brand on it, or autolite (maybe once or twice) or something else i dont remember

final word is...get both...its a 2 cycle engine and you can swap them out every 3 weeks if you want anyhow.

If you have carboned up plug you can get it red hot with a propane torch and it will burn that carbon out of there completely

steve matichuk /

NGK all the way

When my friend Joe got his 76 Maxi last month it had an original sparkplug in it with a picture of a moped baked into the white ceramic part of the plug... I'm not sure what kind it was...

What an antique!

I think it has a resistor, which would explain the poor spark and performance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In general, would there be any advantage to using a resistor polug in a Moped? I thought they were just used to reduce radio interference.

Virtually all newer plugs are the resistor type.On modern EPA vehicles(damn the EPA),it also prevents interference with all the computerized bullshit that modern cars have.Modern resistor plugs shouldn't cause a problem in any engine,if they are the right ones.I like NGK,it's what I use in all my vehicles,and mostly what I use at work.We also sometimes use ACDelco,or Autolite,but I haven't even seen a Champion in years.Those are the shiny silver colored ones,aren't they.I remember using those a long time ago.They had a serious problem with corrosion,and were sometimes almost impossible to get out.Jerry.

OK - NGK B7HS runs like a dream. I also put in a #54 jet at the same time. After several miles of stop and go, and some high speed, I had a period of about 10 minutes of low speed running, during which it misfired, and bogged down a bit. It eventually stalled and wouldn't start again. Seem like a condensor to anyone?

The plug itself was bone white on the insulator, and there was an even medium gray (noticeably different from a new plug) only on the electrode, and a minor oil spot. Normal operation? Or is it a bit too lean?

I would have expected a whiter deposit or blistering if it were too lean. It ran way too good with no sputtering or anything. Should I change the heat range at all? These b7hs were all that discount auto had. I had wanted a b6hs, and a b5hs, just to experiment.

Jerry,

Assuming that a hotter plug could be used on an engine, would it increase performance/speed/acceleration if the heat dissipation issue was resolved within the engine?

From what I've read, it does seem that a plug from a variety of ranges would work- but, too hot would sieze the engine, too cold wouldn't spark properly or would be difficult to spark.

Is there such a thing as a spark plug that sparks better, but doesn't increase heat that much or at all in comparison to the original plugs?

Also, what about these plugs that have the 4-pins on the end, or the spilt pin on the end versus the regular 1-pin- does the extra pins or the spilting really make a difference? Would it make a difference in a moped versus a car?

Best,

EK

Hot and cold plugs do not spark differently. A hot plugs spark is no more hot than a cold plug. A cold plug has a larger ceramic insulator around the center electrode that allows heat to transfer to the metal body more effectively than a hot plug. Hot plugs will carbon up less but can glow too hot becuase of less heat transfer and preignite the mixture bsfore spark occurs. So the rub is finding the right heat range where the plug doesn't carbon up too bad and yet doesn't cause pre-ignition. A high compression engine would use a cooler plug than a low compression engine. The intense heat of preignition causes holes in piston crowns not the intensity of the spark

Thats pretty much it.Jerry.

Thanks guys

EK

Every motorcycle shop carries a NGK B5/6HS. Its one of the best recommended plug for smaller cycles/mopeds/dirtbikes. I run a b6hs with my 70cc kit and when i had 50cc's crankin thru there. It runs perfect on both motors and is the best plug i ever ran.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account