Tail light ground question.

So is there any reason that the tail light draws its ground from the frame? i am installing a motorcycle tail light right now and its not gonna work with the current ground set up. can i just run a ground wire all the way from the engine to the back of the light? does it have to run through the frame for any reason?

Re: Tail light ground question.

Jason Luther /

are you talking about the maxi? because both the tail and brake lights are grounded to the frame. take the tail lens off and look for the brown wire.

There is no good reason that the light must get its ground from the frame. It's perfectly OK to disconnect the frame grounding and run a wire to the engine case, magneto etc.

Frame grounds are a matter of convenience only.

thanks legend thats what i was wondering. yah i just have had ground problems with this bike already and want to eleiminate any future problems. I have found that a new ground can make a world of difference in the brightness.

I added a trucks front fender directional light that i put a red lens in I think made by Grote, and use that as my stop and tail light it has a much bigger surface area to the light than the old tiny moped one. Anyways I ran my ground all the way back to the engine and soldered all the connections. it's so much brighter now almost like a cars brake light.HTH.jim

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account