1976 Motobecane Mobylette Type 40T

I've got a 1976 Motobecane Mobylette Type 40T (Yellow) that needs a little work. The engine runs, I had it running for a while, once I got the ignition switch working. The engine's good, and I'm pretty sure the electrical will be fine with some wire replacement and replacing some lights. She's a hell of a ride at $70 at a yard sale!

However now I'm having trouble with the variator:

My issue is the pads on the variator are worn. A machinist friend of mine cut me some brake pads to fit it, we tried applying them with (don't laugh) epoxy, and as you can guess it ripped right off. I want to try a new angle, same brake pads, just rounded down a little bit so they're less likely to peel off, however I'm not sure which adhesive to use. Should I still use epoxy or is there something else? I have no idea what Motobecane used in the first place, I have the owner and repair manuals (not the originals, just dled pics of the pages) and I can't find anything. Please help.

Re: 1976 Motobecane Mobylette Type 40T

The picture will not load in my browsers. can you try again?

I do not think the 40t came with a variator, did you put one on yourself? or is it the diamoby clutch.

I could just send you a whole clutch cover, wouldn't that be better. but I need to know for sure what kind of clutch you have.

Clutch linings, like brake pads, use a special hot-bond adhesive. I don't know of anything that will substitute for it. Very strong, permanent bond.

That replacement clutch from Dan is probably the best way to go.

Ok, sorry, let me try this again

I believe it is the clutch, it says "variator" in the book, I thought it might be wrong. Anyway, the replacement clutch sounds great, and so does that adhesive, I'll keep it in mind. Hope this picture helps.

1976 Motobecane Type 40T Variator/Clutch pads

Ok, I'll leave it up to you to determine if I have a clutch or a variator. Here's my variator/clutch, here's the diagram the manual has for the variator, and here's a diagram of the clutch. I don't know if I have both, one, or if they're one in the same. I either have a mobymatic variator or a diamoby clutch, I do know that. I'll look into hot-bond adhesives (you're right, they're hard to find) for clutch linings. Also, here's a picture of my clutch showing exactly which parts are worn. You may have to hover the mouse over the pics, then click the expand button that shows up to see the pictures clearly(zoom in) on internet explorer.

Re: 1976 Motobecane Type 40T Variator/Clutch pads

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

Dan if you have a variator that you would be willing to sell i have a 1976 40TL that would like it. Email me if you do.

I do not have a complete one to sell.

And if I did, I would probably keep it. but I have some parts

ok, sorry, my web host is a pain about linking to them from other sites, so here's a web page that shows all my crap.

http://fdafda9.allhyper.com/explain.html

I might be willing to buy what you've got Dan, if you tell me exactly what you're selling. Again, thanks for the help.

sam, check ebay right now. they have some of the clutch pads that you need. and i can understand that dan. i am really want to start this bike and the clutch is still good so it is more a want than a need.

I'll look into new clutch flyweights, however I'd like to just use that hot-bond adhesive legendre was talking about, I just don't know where to get it. If I were to file down the brake pads I have and use a hod bond adhesive, would that suffice? Or do I need to get totally new ones. That's really the question I'm asking, and if I can use brake pads, where to get the hod bond adhesive. Again, thanks for the help.

why half ass it when you can do it right for not a lot of money. i would go the correct way.

Half ass would be taking a hot glue gun and some rubber off bike tire brakes and using that, which would only last a week. Half ass jobs don't last more than a month. I'm not trying to do that here. All I want to do is repair my moped. I could buy the flyweights, but my machinist friend worked his ass off trying to shape the break pads to the perfect size while still using quite a few boxes of sand paper and a lot of patience and time. If I can use his pads I will. All I want to know is if there is any hot bond adhesive that would be worth my time buying(meaning I don't just put the pads on, and have them break in a week). I'd like this to last a year at minimum. If I can't do that with the adhesive and the brake pads, then fine I'll just buy the flyweights.

whoa dude i was just giving my input. why dont you ask an auto parts store. i would personaly want something that i know is right and will work and last. obviously the originals lasted like 26 or 27 years so that seems like the right way for it to be done.

the new clutch weights will cost you the same amout as the glue would give or take. that was the other issue that i forgot to mention.

Thanks, I'll go for the flyweights then. Luckily I found some on ebay, unfortunately though I don't have a paypal or any bank account, so I might be screwed out of a great deal. Thanks for all the help though. Before this thread ends, does anybody mind telling me where I can buy flyweights online off a store(not like ebay, a moped parts site)?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account