condensor replacement

OK, I have a "condensor" question. I have a 1979 Motobecane 50V. I have problems starting and keeping it running. By the posts I assume I need a new condensor. Can the old condensor be replaced with one from say a car? My electrical system is 12 volts, so I am wondering if an automotive condensor would work? If it won't, where can I purchase one? Thanks for any help or input.

Re: condensor replacement

My problem with a condenser was that everything would work fine then it would die and not start up again until it had cooled down. You should get one from another scooter/moped/motorcycle that is about the same size. I got mine at a local Vespa store and it was only ~$12 CAD. I'm sure they sell them online as well. You should be able to retrofit one for another moped just fine with basic electrical knowledge.

Thanks for the reply. I would still like to know if anybody knows if an automobile condensor would work.

Chemglider, apparently Motobecane condensers are a little unusual... see this thread for a discussion about it. I went into an AutoZone looking for a 3.0uF automotive condenser, but they aren't marked with a capacitance anywhere. I have a meter that can check capacitance, so I'll take it to AutoZone next time and see if I can find one that'll work.

Thanks for the info. I'll try my local autoparts store for the capacitance in the 3.0 uF range. Let me know if you find one that works as well.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account