Cleaning Airbox (Honda NC50)

Alexander Orange Moby Syndicate /

I have a 1983 Honda Express NC50, and I'm cleaning the air filter. I basically just soaked the element in gasoline, gently scrubbed it with itself like I was washing unmentionables, sprayed/rinsed it with water, squeezed out as much water as I could, and let it dry all the way, and then repeated the gasoline process. Before I put it back in, I have two questions:

1. Am I doing something horribly wrong? Is this going to destroy my engine somehow? Or is there a better way to get it cleaner?

2. When I oil the element, should I just use regular two-stroke oil or what? Someone recommended that I don't use oil at all, is this advisable? Why or why not?

Thanks,

Alexander

Re: Cleaning Airbox (Honda NC50)

Thats a good way to clean it as long as you didn't use pre-mixed 2-stroke gas because it will leave a residue, not that that is really much of a concern.

I'm not sure about the oil part.

Nope, didn't use premix, just straight gasoline. The element's back in the airbox now, but I really want some confirmation on the oiling thing before I fire it up.

Many companies make special 'air filter oil', including K&N, Castrol, etc.

I would just use a light oil, but see if one of the experts here can suggest a brand or a substitute.

I'm running with it unoiled until I get a reccomendation, mainly because I have to go somewhere right now.

Toodles!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account