Timing On a Raleigh RM6 Runabout

Jared Hilberg /

I need help setting the timing on a Raleigh RM6 Runabout, Me and my Grandpa have been trying to set it for about 3 years now and we don't own a timing gun so was wondering if there was a trick to setting it with out one there are no timing marks or anything. Would be nice for some one to give me some help please.

Re: Timing On a Raleigh RM6 Runabout

Figure out if it sparks when the points open or closed. Hook up a continuity tester to the points to see when they open/close, adjust from there.

Figure out if it sparks when the points open or closed. Hook up a continuity tester to the points to see when they open/close, adjust from there.

First you have to determine if the unit is putting out any spark at all. Pull the plug asnd re-attach it to the wire. Hold it against the head while someone else pedals it. If you are getting spark you can go on.

You say that the flywheel is not marked. OK, first find top dead center. Remove the spark plug and stick a screwdriver in the hole. Rotate the engine until the piston reaches the top. You might have to go back and forth a couple of times until you get it just right. Now mark the flyheel with a magic marker or better yet mark it with a center punch. Mark it in relation to something that you can use as a reference such as a screw or a joint or some such. Then back up the engine about 1/2" on the flywheel and mark this time ith a magic marker.

See if it will run. Squirt a little carb cleaner in the carb. If it goes and then dies, you will have to clean the carb.

Here is an address of a store (Smiths Autocycles) in England that might give you some help. www.autocycles.co.uk

Good luck

Most Raleighs are really motobecanes. Maybe this will help. or at least give you ideas you need to figure out a method on your own.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/173041/173041/

Raleigh's aren't Motobecanes of a different name, but the do have the same engine and often similar body styling. The electrical stuff should be the same as a modern motobecane 50v.

It puts out a spark, and every time I try to set the timing I make sure the Piston is at Top Center, but i can't figure out where the timing is i played with it for hours today everything works fine just the timing is off is there any way to tell where to set it or is it just a lot of trial and error?

Do you understand how the point work? the cam opens the points, you probably want the points to open 2mm before top dead center. use the instructions I posted earlier. If you do not have a multimeter, use a piece of cigarette paper, or cellophane. Place it between the points, and slowly rotate the engine whil pulling gently on the paper. when the paper comes free, the points have opened, at that moment the piston should be 2mm BTDC. you will probably need a puller tool to adjust the cam, you can "cheat" the timming by adjusting the points gap sometimes.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account