Grande rear clutch slipping

Where can I find new shoes for the rear clutch of a 78 grande. The ones that engage when you peddle to start it. Also is the VESPA CIAO & BRAVO SPARE PARTS CATALOG the catalog to use for the grande? Or did they make on for the grande too? Thanks, Sunshine

Re: Grande rear clutch slipping

Bruce Wilkinson /

zippymoped@yahoo.com has the starter shoes. I would also order 2 new small springs as well. Not sure about the catalog question.I have a separate one for my Si. bruce

Before buying new ones, try sanding off the glaze on your current ones, then spray it off with brake cleaner.

Before buying new ones, try sanding off the glaze on your current ones, then spray it off with brake cleaner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bingo!!

After more examination, I think the belt is slipping. I did sand and clean the shoes. I had trouble with the belt before, I cant find the right size to buy. does anyone have the no. from the belt they run on a std. Grande? I just pushed my bike home a couple miles, the belt finally wouldnt grab at all. I stopped and bought some dressing, but that didnt help.

Bruce Wilkinson /

Is it possilbe that the front puuley governor is not greased and seized up. Take it off and put some lithium grease on the plastic rollers.

I had the front pulley off a couple days ago, it was fine and i cleaned and greased the rollers. I'm now positive that the belt is bad.

Bruce Wilkinson /

There were two belts mentioned in past posts. Pirelli 2670 30937/1 and 4L-415-V. I'm just posting what was on here in the past. zippymoped@yahoo.com will sell you the Vespa belt for your Grande. The Bravo takes the same belt. bruce

50cc.nl (in the Netherlands) also sells them, and a host of other parts...but since they're in Europe, they're usually only worth dealing with if you're ordering a ton of parts. The stock belt size for the Bravo / Grande is very tough to find, or so I've been told, in auto stores.

Belt slippage like you're experiencing is quite common and among one of my pet peeves with the Vespa bikes. Someone did say you could drill out the rear engine mount hole so that you can slide it forward a bit more and tighten up the belt tension a bit (this is how you adjust belt tension on the non-variator models like the Ciao and the Kinetic). So that might be worth a shot too.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account