Morini engine wont start

I recently rebuilt my engine and installed new piston and gaskets and it ran fine. I was idleling the engine while warming it up and it just stopped dead. Tried to start it again and it wouldnt start. So I checked the plug and it was black and wet. So I figured that it was flooded so I let the bike sit and tried starting it again with the choke off, still didnt work. The only thing I do get out of the bike is a series of back fires and thats all. I was thinking since all of the sudden it stopped running maybe I changed something before hand that is keeping it from running now. The only thing I did prior to this is tighten up the exhaust at the port where I noticed exhaust leaking out.

Re: Morini engine wont start

My guess is you need a new spark plug scence you said that it was black and wet and stuff is leaking out of your ehaust that means its not getting cumbusted.

I did clean the spark plug until I could see the white again on it. It still didnt start. You still suggest getting a new one?

And after I cleaned it, it got all black and wet again.

Ok today I worked on it again and still got nothing here is what I did. I cleaned the spark plug and made sure the spark gap was set right and it was. Still didnt start. I shot some gas on the plug to make sure it was getting gas. Still didnt start. I checked my timing and that was all good. Still didnt start. I took the head off and made sure the rings or anything didnt break when I put the cylinder back on and that was ok. Still didnt start. I checked compression and got a high reading of 75lbs. I also took off the exhaust to see if it was clogged and would maybe start with it off but the engine still didnt start. All I can get out of it is a couple back fires. Does this mean anything?

Jason Luther /

BUY A NEW PLUG!!!!!

check your points, bad timing can cause backfires

I did buy a new plug this evening and that didnt help. Still the backfiring. I'll have to redo the points again to make sure they are set right. Two strokes are nice engines but can be a major b!itch.

Well I did check out the timing today. Someting didnt seem right on the flywheel so I pulled it off and found that the key that keeps it in place was sheared off. That explains the sudden stop in the engine. So I'll buy a new key and hear that engine roar. Thanks for all of you help

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account