Considering rebuilding brake shoes

First, I want to thank you all for all the help you have given me in the past, don't know what I would to without you. The Moped Army Forum is the best.

I am considering rebuilding/re-padding my brake shoes on my 1980 Columbia Commuter. I know you can buy them via Moped Junk Yard and others but I am dubious about getting the right ones. Front brake okay, back brake just is adjusted out to the wearmark, barely working.

I am a young timer, age 67, we used to repad our cars shoes when money was scarce back in the 50's and 60's.

Re: Considering rebuilding brake shoes

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Hey Lee, I also remember those days. Are the replacement shoes riveted or bonded? Jim.

Re: Considering rebuilding brake shoes

Hi Jim, don't know, haven't taken it apart yet, can't tell anything by looking at the parts manual, what with everything being in metrics I can't tell heads or tails about it.

It is still rideable, winter closing in here in Central Illinois and will work on it as a winter project.

The bike was in my dads basement for 20 years and had some flooding up and over the brakes probably damaging them, but front working fine, will replace or reline both if possible.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account