Honda express bogging

Alexander Orange Moby Syndicate /

I have a 1983 NC50 Honda Express. I have a problem with it that cropped up two days ago, and has steadily been getting worse. At first only in the extreme high end, but now at about 20mph (by my crappy speedo), it will kind of suddenly bog. The pitch of the engine will drop, and it won't accelerate. At first it would pop right back again, but now I'm lucky if I can get it up there in the first place.

At first I thought I was outrunning my fuel supply somehow, like the fuel system was dirty or something, but now I think maybe it's a transmission problem? It's a two speed with an automatic transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, does anybody know a shop or even just someone who knows more than me in San Diego?

Thanks, Alexander

Re: Honda express bogging

Mine did the same thing and it worked when I put in a new plug. It was a different kind of plug too, the old one was an L82 and the new one is a BPR6HS.

Jonas Quimby /

That new plug is actually the right one for your bike.

My guess for both of you is your muffler has clogged up with carbon. Same thing happened to my '78. Try unbolting the muffler and see if the bike runs at full speed like that.

If so, the muffler just needs to be cleaned out.

Make sure you use a good two stroke oil, not cheap "all purpose" two stroke oil. That stuff loves to foul plugs, pistons and mufflers.

I'll pick up a new spark plug and try the muffler thing tomorrow. I really hope that does it, because I'd hate to have to clean the carb- that's such a pain. Let's all cross our fingers that it's not a fuel problem.

Hooray! I unbolted the muffler and she ran great! Better than when I bought her. And as an added bonus, it's astoundingly loud and all my neighbors hate me (more) now!

I took her down to the shop to pick up a part on order, and when I pulled up, the guy hanging out up front was laughing. As I'm locking up my bike, he says to me "I thought you were a Harley - I could hear you coming all the way down the street!" I'm tempted to just leave the muffler off.

I'm glad it was something simple. Now I just have to figure out how to clean it. I'll do a search on the forums. Thanks for the advice!

Alexander

Leon Swarmer /

Don't leave it off! your ped needs it to thrive.

You can just drill holes in the muffler so it will still give you the same performance, but without excessive noise. That won't work if if its clogged though.

I've had people say they thought I was a harley too.

Crap.

While the muffler is definitely clogged, that's not the source of my problem.

I just took it up the street to get some purple cleaner (I'm having a BBQ tomorrow!), and there was the same old problem again, only louder. Without the muffler, I could hear what was going on better, and I've decided now that I'm definitely four stroking. So I'm off to find out how to fix that problem.

Wish me luck!

-Alexander

It seems that i have the same problem. Whats the best way to clean out the express exhaust?

Jonas Quimby /

Make sure you have a newish clean air filter. Ensure your spark plug gap isnt too narrow. Clean that muffler out anyway. Check that the throttle pin is in the center notch, any other will make you too rich/lean.

It cant really hurt to clean your carb out eather, it's easy to do on the Express, so long as you're absolutly 100% sure you know where the idle mix and throttle stop screws are now and put them back. That's irritating to adjust otherwise.

Oh, and if you have a timing light, pop the timing cover off and check it. Make sure the points are clean too and in good shape.

Well, right now I have it full of purple cleaner, and am soon going to do the old throw-it-in-a-fire trick. We'll see where that gets me. Do a forum search for "Castrol Superclean", and I think you'll find the post that tells you how to do it.

So I'm looking at my muffler, which is currently full of purple cleaner, and I realize someone has done something to it, who the hell knows, but it's repaired with JB Weld. A big honkin' rectangle is all held on with epoxy.

WTF!@%$^#$^@&

So I guess that rules out throwing it in a fire. Right? How heat-resistant is that shit? Hopefully between the purple cleaner and blasting it out with water, I'll get some performance back. I don't think it's worth it to buy a new stock exhaust. Maybe a performance exhaust, thereby giving me an excuse to clean my carb (I'll have it open to upjet). I didn't want to do any performance work till I had it running right stock, but it's dumb to track down and buy a part just to replace it almost immediately, right?

my puch has been bogging. i did a full carb cleaning and I messed with the needle adjustment. it seems to be working fine right now. i think the needle adjustment is the problem.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account