Whati's involved in replacing front fork bearings

I've got some play (it clunks back and forth) in the bottom of the frame tube and thought that new bearings might do the trick. Does this just involve taking off the top plate and loosening that big nut on the top and go from there? Any thoughts from those of you that have done this would be appreciated. Thanks.

It's a Puch Maxi, BTW.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Re: Whati's involved in replacing front fork beari

Leon Swarmer /

After you do yours, you can come over here. There are two in town that need it...

Leon

You defintly want to get that fixed right away, i noticed that on my maxi about a year ago and said its not that important and guess what, my whole fork assembly twisted sideways and down i went....Lesson learned, somthings loose, fix it lol. Hurt like hell, my shin went down right onto a curb.

Thanks, I always forget about those online service manuals.

Leon, want me to order a couple of extra sets?

Leon Swarmer /

Actually just one extra set. I'm not sure flammenwurfer need them till we find out if his piston will move.. Yea, grab some for me. mIne is a 77 maxi if it makes a difference.

Leon

It doesn't take much actual wear in the bearings to translate into a lot of 'clunk' at the wheel. Normally it is sufficient to just disassemble and clean everything, then reassemble with fresh grease. If the bearings use loose balls, they are very cheap to replace - assuming the races are not galled or dented.

If you keep the bearings maintained (lubed and adjusted) they should last for just about ever. But for the most part, people just ignore them until they are causing trouble.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account