1978 Puch Maxi-luxe 2HP : Ignition Coil Problems.

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Hey all!

I just recently purchased a beautiful Puch from Skipjaz up in Burlington this past weekend.

Unfortunately I'm already having problems with it...

It seems that my ignition coil has shot the bed and I'm in need of a new one.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any ideas on how to maybe possibly fix a faulty ignition coil or if someone maybe had an extra one in good working condition they'd like to give me a deal on?

Any help/ideas would be great.

I've looked the part up on The Moped Junkyard and also the Mopedwarehouse but I'm a little confused on which one I should get and how it'd work since with mine it seems the spark plug boot and wire is all one piece to the ignition coil.

Thanks

-nicco

Re: 1978 Puch Maxi-luxe 2HP : Ignition Coil Proble

Ben Van Zoest /

Before you get a coil try this, sometimes the cable ends have poor contact. They screw into the sparkplug cap and coil terminal. Cut off about a half inch from both ends and twist/screw the coil side on first than the cap end. The metal OEM spark plug cap is notoriuos for failure. Any lawn mower shop or good hardware store sells a better plastic spark plug connector...

NB0tt aholetechbro /

So I switched the Ignition Coils on both my Columbia Commuter (Sachs 505) and the Puch Maxi.

The Columbia ran just fine with the Puch Coil and got plenty of spark whereas the Puch still has the same problems with the Columbia Ignition coil (they're both Bosch)......

So now I'm completely at a loss.......It's not the plug boot nor the Igntion coil and so far I haven't seen any melted wiring on the Puch so I have no idea what the problem would be.

What's the next thing that I should look for the problem?

See Ya Moped Army /

Dirty or point gap out of spec.

NB0tt aholetechbro /

what do I do about a dirty or point gap that's out of spec? What does that mean?

Ben Van Zoest /

Well done eliminating the coil, w/ the spark plug out and in the socket flick the flywheel around while grounding the plug to the cyl. head, if you got a spark check that the plug sparks just before the cyl. tops. Have you looked at FRED's guide?

Leon Swarmer /

behind your flywheel is a set of points.. a tiny on/off switch that operates every time the engine spins over 1 rev. They should be clean smooth and have a gap of about .013 inch when they are open and they should close pretty tightly.

YOu can see them from the curved slots in the flywheel and adjust and clean them from there if you take your time and be careful..don't drop anything.

Leon Swarmer /

take a looke here under electrical or ignition

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/puch/sm/puchsm.htm

Leon

NB0tt aholetechbro /

So I should remove the engine cover on the right hand side of the engine (where all the electrical stuff is) to get at the flywheel?

I just read through Fred's Guide.....

Very good indeed....only problem though is trying to understand what some of the stuff is when you haven't done it before......putting images to words kinda thing.

when I get some time I'll clean up the points.....The whole thing about seeing if the plug sparks right before the the cylinders comes all the way up....That would be the timing?

Ben Van Zoest /

Yes, at that time ignition/spark should occur. Put a pencil in the spark plug hole and mark it's max out travel, by that time the contact should just close!

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Ok so I got some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and started sanding what I thought would possible be the points since I didn't know what they were supposed to look like.

I was sanding inbetween the electronic magnets and the regular magnets on the fly wheel and there was a ton of red/orange oxidization/rust that I got off.......though I didn't understand what I had been reading about a switch going on and off from the magnets just rotating so I took a closer look to some Points online and saw that I was totally cleaning the wrong thing.....

Ok say I used a screw driver to pry the points open just enough to fit in the sandpaper and did that a few times.......my moped is at home right now so I don't have access to all the tools/stuff at my shoppe in town so I couldn't use an air compressor and do the full clean up yet.

What I'm wondering now is shouldn't I be seeing the points open open as I turn the flywheel?

At every angle I look at while turning the flywheel I don't see the points open apart at all unless they're only supposed to do it whan the flywheel is turning a lot faster like as if I were to pedal it like normal or something?

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Woohooo!!

Cleaned 'em up a bit and now I get spark every time!!

Took it outside for a quick second (it's pouring out today but I just had to try) and it started up in half a kick (pushing the pedal down once) !!!!

Totally awesome

See Ya Moped Army /

I knew it....dirty points. You still need to gap them to spec. which is about .015".

Great: Glad to hear it. You might still have to clean your carb/tank/ and fuel tap filter is it has been sitting for a long time.

Hint: Do not use the dark grey wet-or-dry sandpaper. It is made of aluminum oxide and it is an electrical conductor. Use the tan type sandpaper. It is made of garnet type mineral materials and is a non conductor.

NB0tt aholetechbro /

Hmm still having some problems. Still doesn't have as much power as it did on the first few days when I got it.

Started running kinda rough again with misfiriing and all.

Took off the exhaust/header and took a nice torch to it last night and cleaned that all up and scraped a ton of gunk off of the exhaust port which I think will make a difference in the future.

Tried running it just with the header pipe on........Sounds Beastly!

So I still don't really understand the points.

If I turn the flywheel shouldn't I see them start to open/close on their own?

I rotate it and nothing happens with them so the only way I can open them is to use screw driver physically.

How am I supposed to adjust the point-gap is they don't open automatically? Or is the gap going to be what the maximum I can open them with the screwdriver and should go from there?

How do I actually adjust them from there? That still screw next to it?

Totally confused sorry

-Nicco

Yes, you should see them open and close. Read Fred's guide to learn about points. You have to establish a point gap to ensure an adequate dwell time. If you can't establish the points gap then you need to replace the points as they are worn out. With new points in you have to re-time the engine.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account