RUSTY RUSTY RUSTY FRAME

The Sachs has rust on the frame, but I don't want to break it down, sand and repaint.

Any suggestions for something to delay the corrosion?????

thanks all...d

Re: RUSTY RUSTY RUSTY FRAME

..can I spot sand and put some kind of sealer/polish on the naked metal spots?

naval jelly? works?

You could sand and paint the rusty spots, just use tape and cover to keep from getting overspray on stuff. Might be a better idea to take a weekend to strip and repaint the bike.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Brian Mikami /

There are rust STOPPING products like 'Extend' that you brush over rust. It turns a fugly black, but there is no need to paint over (you could) and it stops the rust from rusting further. You'll have a buncha fugly black scabs, but it won't rust...you could do that until you're ready to strip, sand and paint. I took longer than a weekend to paint, Grey...but I'm crazy...

Ther are rust converts. They chemically change the rust into a metal combination that does not create flaky Iron Oxide. A few of them the results are black, but there are a couple that do a reddish color. The spot will be rough, since it does not change the nature of the rust flake texture. Some fo these products are pretty nasty in clothes, hands, and plants, so be careful when handling.

Quote: I took longer than a weekend to paint, Grey…but I’m crazy…

I kind of had a feeling he was going to break out the rattle bomb, not go wild with an elaborate paint job :)

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

most of the rust changers and ESPECIALLY naval jelly need paint over them once they are done.

Not just primer either- it's porus, and is supposed to be.

You should cover it with paint after usning any rust treatment.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account