1960's puch/sears saber

i have a 1960s Steyr-Diamler-Puch 49cc Motor Bike/Sears Saber. the cylinder was off when i got it, so the crank, crank arm, and piston and rusted stuck. anybody know if more modern (ie late 70's) puch parts could work? anybody have a repair manual for this kind of bike? any suggestions, besides throw it out?

greg, gb

Re: 1960's puch/sears saber

Keep your eyes open for another engine like that, I'd say.

I saw one on ebay last week. I don't remember what it went for. It was complete, and I'm pretty sure it went for under 200. Without it, It just wouldn't ne the same. Maybe get another ped for a runner, until ya find what it needs. They're around.

Also Rinky Toys sells a bunch of that stuff.

Motor West, Inc. (motor west motorcycles) They deal with only BMW, and puch (including the sears allstate stuff)

Also stuff at 50cc.

If ya wanna part with any of it, I might be intrested.

-Dave

Cole Todorovich /

i have one, its a weird motor. does yours have a kill switch cause both mine and mine buddies don't. motor west has some parts for them but otherwise thier pretty far and few between. if you give up on it sell me your tank, please haha.

cole

Don't throw it out. It is probably worth more in parts than what you paid for it.

If you want to ride it, you can. Thats a pretty neat one. Patience is the key. Fix yourself a good place to tinker on it, and go buy a can of wd-40, squirt it on everything that looks like it might move. It might cost you a couple of hundred, and take a year. but 100mpg, on a classic . There are a couple of guys on this site that know their mopeds, and can walk you thru it. If you've passed algebra, $200 and 1 year, would give a friend for life.

What's algebra?

Could ya spare a picture of your ride, lad?

ill clean it up first so that it gets the credit it is due, being a classic and all. im keeping my eyes open for spare parts, but if anyone finds something, id appreciate it if you'd help me out, that is if you dont need the stuff yourself. after taking a solid look over the bike, the rubber bushings and covers are cracked (as expected) and the tank isnt in very good shape. it has plenty of rust in it and looks like someone tried to seal a bunch of rust holes a while ago. the frame and wheels look to be in good shape, all cables and electrical parts are there. i dont know how the shocks work though. the paint is in good shape, except for some scratched in places (fender, shocks, some on the frame), and i'd like to clean those up, but i dont want to spoil the origional paint, any advice? any vets know how to start tackling a project like this (besides cleaning everthing)?

greg, gb

What I meant Dave is if your smarter than the average bear Dave.

put a pict up, and find the serial #, to figure out just what it is. There is an exploded diagram of that bike out there, that shows every last part.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account