draino to clean gas tank?

does draino work? it sounds like a really strong chemical capable of stripping rust out. how about a can of carb cleaner? i really need to clean my tank but i dont have the the money for kreem or por 15

Re: draino to clean gas tank?

Bruce Wilkinson /

Draino might eat holes in the tank. Mix a 50/50 water /vinegar solution and leave it in overnight.Drain and blow it dry and put gas in right away. Keep the tank topped up to prevent the rust from reforming. bruce

the water/vinegar won't work. Get Kreem. Save up it might take a bit.

Vinegar will remove rust.

Draino mighr remove oily gunk but it will not remove rust.

To remove rust you need an acid type cleaner. Vinegar is acid as is Coca-Cola but they are very weak.

If the tank is not leaking, remove it and the fuel tap and drain it. Wash it out with soap and water, rinse and let dry.

Pour about a good handfull of 1/4" nuts in it and make like a martini shaker. Pour out the nuts, wash and rinse again, re-install and fill with premix. Install an in-line fuel filter to be sure. Ride and enjoy.

I'm telling you Joe, just do the Kreeme setup...pain in the neck to remove everything on the bike, but it does work. Stuff like this is involved to get a tank cleaned out fully, but it's necessary. Definitely look into the buying guide when you look for a moped - it would've saved you the headache, if not run you a bit more money! But you can do it, with a little patience. Ziggy, who assembled my bike, had it for a while, and one of the parts that took the longest to get right was the tank. He also did the BB pellet trick, followed by a full kreeme treatement. Result was a perfectly functional tank that hasn't given me trouble yet.

Bruce Wilkinson /

I've Kreemed my two Vespas and I agree that the stuff is great . The guy stated he doesn't have the money for Kreem so I gave him a cheap alternative. If you can possibly get Kreem ,then do it. bruce

yeah im definitely gonna disassemble it phil. the step through issue is a pain in my ass. its only three bolts holding in the whole engine and the bolt connected to the pipe. hopefully this will also give me time to clean out the whole thing. polish the engine and stuff

How about CLR? Would it be too strong?

http://www.jelmar.com/CLRgroup.asp?p=CLRbasic

Rob

CLR is some strong stuff...burned the crap out of my eyes once using it. X-13 is worse though, bleached one of my favorite pairs of pants!

I would stick to things that are made for their specific purpose, especially with such a vital part of the ped as the tank! Kreeme works...just follow the instructions and you should be on your way to a better tank.

I have had several gas tanks cleaned using steam - A small engine repair shop, who has used this method for years to clean rusty gas tanks, first suggested it to me and I have been pleased with the results. Generally you don't even have to take the tank off; just remove the shut-off valve, or fitting on the bottom of the tank so it can drain - I pay between five and ten dollars per tank to have this done - anyway, it has worked well for me -

i just bought some rust removing stuff from autozone.

Evaporust. super safe rust remover.

non toxic

no fumes

biodegradeable

environmentally safe eliminates rust effortlessly in minutes.

1. pour into a container a sufficient amount of evapo rust to completely cover the rusted object

2. immerse the rusted object in the solution

3 leave the item in the solution for 30 minutes (light rust) up to overnight (extremely heavy rust)

4. rinse item with water.

and they show pics or miraculous. makeovers IE half of a crappy ass rusted set of cylinders and other half super shiny

it couldnt kill. if anything kreem seems like the most dangerous thing out there. its ACID. this stuff is non toxic. i might even drink some to clear my system just kidding

So where would one get some Kreem?

Kreem should only be used in extreme cases and not as a matter of course for a slightly rusted tank. I’m sure it is fine if you are like many of the experienced restorers on here but for a newbie to slosh this around in the tank and correctly pour off the excess is no easy task… especially in a step through where the tank cannot be removed and you need to pick the ped up and turn it upside down and all around to coat everything. It can quickly turn into a huge mess and leave you with chunks of the stuff floating around and clogging everything from your gas cap vent to your fuel petcock.

It’s ok to use the first two steps or go with muric acid but the third step with the goop is more trouble than it’s worth unless the tank is actually rusted clear through in spots…

There is a great article on how to clean a rusty tank at:

http://www.scootertherapy.com

I found that once the rust is removed the oil in the pre-mix will coat the interior of the tank nicely and prevent further rusting… and it’s always good practice to keep the tank topped off with premix to prevent air and moisture from coming in contact with the metal in the tank interior…

I'm gonna dispute you on that one fratbone...I still firmly believe that despite the fact that it's a pain to do, it's still worth it because you have nothing to worry about after the fact. My mag has gone through two winters without so much as a drop of rust, despite not topping off the tank when she went into storage.

Bruce Wilkinson /

Kreem can be purchased at your local motorcycle shop. It's a 3 stage cleaner, dryer, coater ordeal that takes a day to do but is well worth while. Cost is $ 30 - $ 40. Follow instrutions carefully and you should have no problems. bruce

I'm gonna have to agree with fratbone on this. I see absolutely no point in using Kreem if the tank is not leaking.

Before you apply the Kreem, the tank needs to be completely clean.. If you can get the tank clean (and rust free) enough to actually apply the coating, then the tank is clean enough to use as-is. See the logic?

The final product makes a membrane on the inside of the tank...I haven't heard of any tank rusting again after proper application. It's not so much the holes, but making an extremely rust resistant tank.

Like I said, I've stored my bike twice in the winter in an unheated leaky shed, and both times it came out with the tank looking like it was when the kreeme was first applied. No stabil, no topping off the tank...just drained and added new gas and never had a flake come through my fuel filter. That to me is worth the price of completing the application.

well im in school and as we speak my tank or at least the bottom is soaking in the rust removing stuff. i put the stuff in at 12 last night. and shook it up every so often. i dont think the top is gonna get as much of a thorough cleaning but ill be sure to dilute the stuff in water. idont know how much that will do though. the stuff seems really tame. its nontoxic and fumeless. it doesnt really even have a strong smell to it. but if it works it will be worth my while. im sure muric acid would give better results but this is safer anyways.

A simple method I heard about is kerosine in the tank with BB pellets...that seems to help loosen any rust that may need to come out.

Simple solutions

If your tank comes off, then take it off, put a handfull of little rocks/gravel in it, and shake your thing like you are in a mariachi band.

rinse and dry

If the tank does not come off use Behre concrete etcher from home depot, completely de rusts, without harming metal at all.

Re: Simple solutions

ooh. im gonna drain my tank of the fluid right now and see what it looks like inside

here are pics of the fluid drained out

pretty disgusting but not TOO bad

Why not just wait for all of the rust to come off by its self? Sure you have to clean out the carb quite a few times, but the rust will eventually go away.

umm well see all that sediment? that sediment wouldnt probably make me have to clean my carb at least 20 times. even one speck getting stuck in your jet can merit a cleaning. i have an inline fuel filter but the engine is startving for fuel

Phil... if I recall you had a problem with your gas cap clogging from chunks of Kreem plugging it up...

Also your moped is a top tank and the tank is removeable which is far easier to work with than Joe's Maxi...

And last but not least.... the last time I was looking at your tank I noticed a ring of Kreem around the edge of the gas cap on the outside of the tank on the paint where it was sloshed on and not wiped off before it dried...

Kreem sucks ;P

my gas still looks more yellowish than pink right now throug the gas line. weird. i really cleaned it thouroughly. chemicals. rinsed out. soap. rinsed out and spent a while rinsing it in the end. the SOB still wont start

its killing me

nyah nyah I don't care what you say...it's a small spot on the tank! As for the cap, I cleaned it up and it doesn't have anything in it anymore. I believe it's the gasket that's giving me static now...but hey, to each their own...I like my rust free no hassle tank just fine :D

Joseph Ho,

Why not tie a strong magnet to a string and sink it into your gas tank? Pull if out gently then you can wipe off the rust. If it works, keep doing it till it's clean.

Just an idea,

Rob

i had that idea but im not sure how much of it is actually metal

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account