Problems after 1 day

Anthony Seleno /

I bought a 1994 Yamaha Riva Razz, and the next day, I am already having problems with the throttle. I was driving it and all of a sudden, the throttle sticks at about 3/4 down. It is kind of a safety issue because when i start it its already moving. Also, It doesnt seem to run as smooth, and I have to keep it half choked or it will sputter a little. If anyone has any advice id really appreciate it. Or if you know of someone who works on these in the Lansing MI area that would help too.

Tony

Re: Problems after 1 day

Clean the carb out good. Want me to scan the diagram of the carb for you?

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Anthony Seleno /

Yes please send me a diagram of the carb and also any other info you might think would be helpful for me. Do i just spray carb cleaner in it, or is there an actual process that I have to do. Also I took the air filter out to clean today, and I was wondering what kind of oil to use after I clean it, 2 cycle, or regular motor oil. Also does it matter which brand of oil I put in the machine, or will any 2 stroke oil work fine?

Thanks so much for the help, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Tony

To clean the carb you should remove it and spray out the bore and remove the float bowl and spray through all the passages in there. Use two-stroke oil to oil the air filter. As for the motor I would use a good 2-stroke injector oil. If its not that carb thats causing the throttle to stick you may have to buy a new cable.

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

You need to remove the carb and disassemble it to clean it.It needs to be REALLY clean,including all the little passages and jets.I use a cookie sheet with paper towels,and a can of spray carb cleaner for this.Lay the parts out in order on the paper towels.Don't do this in the house.Carb cleaner is pretty nasty stuff,and you need plenty of ventilation.Reassemble it VERY carefully,making sure you put everything back EXACTLY the way it was,with no parts left over.If you have one,study the diagram first,so you know what is in there BEFORE you take it apart.Use regular motor oil on the air filter,Walmart 30W is fine.As for what kind of 2-stroke oil to use,it depends on whether you use premix,or if your engine is oil injected.Yamalube makes(or at least puts their name on)both kinds.It's good oil.use the appropriate type for your scooter.Jerry.

Anthony Seleno /

I dissassembled and cleaned it last night, and now I cant even get it to start. If i drop some gas on the carb it will run for about a second. Im open to suggestions, but I think it got worse, I might have to just take it tommorrow and pay 80 dollars an hour to get it looked at.

Tony

Anthony Seleno /

Does anyone know of a good shop/person to fix these near lansing MI?

Take the carb apart again,and take a good look at it.Compare it to a diagram if you have one.Since it fires,it most likely in the carb somewhere.Just take your time,and make sure everything is right.See if you can find a repair manual for your bike.Being able to fix things yourself is part of owning an old bike.If you have to pay $80 an hour everytime something goes wrong,it would be cheaper,and easier,to just buy a new one.It's not that difficult,really.Jerry.

Be sure to check that you are getting gas to the carb in the first place...

Honda PA 50's have a fuel petcock that can plugged easily, and must be completely disassembled to clean out the passages enough for fuel to flow.

A PIA but once done it will be good for a long time.

If you have fuel to carb, check out the float and float needle pin, as I found that the pin was stuck in the fuel inlet due to congealed oil.

Next, check the main jet again, as new debris could have been stirred up enough to plug up these really fine orifices...

TK

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account