too many flat tyres

I'm having problems with flat tyres. It happens to me almost every month. Most of the times, it is caused by sharp metal object such as nails,screws,... Is there any type of tyre that can handle this better?

How do you repair a flat tyre on the road? Today I had to push my moped for two hours before I was home. i'm sick of it.

Re: too many flat tyres

I have been thinking about trying something like this. http://www.warwickmills.com/Stop-Flats-Bike-Tube-Protection.html

Grey

Live to ride, Ride to work

Walter Kravitz /

My not-so-friendly neighborhood tomos dealer got really salty when I brought in a wheel from a PA50 with that tire fix-a-flat stuff in it... took him near 20 minutes to pry the tire off. You might want to steer clear of that..

Those liners stick to the inside of the tire and protect the tube, seems like a good idea.

Grey

i fix a flatted mine tonight! im thinking about getting some "soft" metal, and rolling it around my tire with rubber bumpers along the rough edges. like the inside of my tire, to prevent stuff from getting in.

Also! Stop riding on the shoulder its were all the crap goes, notice the roads are slanted from the middle. and street sweepers sweep to the shoulders!

Pre-Slime All Tubes!!!!

get a new tire, preferably a ride on flat tire. they stay on the rim even when flat. alot of flats means your rear tire is worn out and too thin where it meets the road.

That has happened to me as well.I have a Tomos,and 20x2.125 bicycle tubes fit it.I have SUPER HEAVY DUTY PUNCTURE RESISTANT tubes in it now,and they are about 4-5 times thicker than the original tubes that came in it.BUT,just in case,I carry 3 or 4 cheap bicycle tubes ($1.99 at Wallyworld)with me.All I need to change the tube on the road,since the Tomos has a centerstand,is a 15mm wrench to remove the wheel,a vinyl coated tire lever,some windex to make the tire bead slippery,so it is easy to get off and on,and a bicycle pump to air it up with.Taking my good easy time,I can change a tube in 10 minutes.I also have a Solex,and only have 1 extra tube for it.They are not cheap,and are not easy to get,being an oddball size.I carry a patch kit on the Solex.I am never pushing a moped again because of a flat tire.If all else fails,I also carry a cell phone.By the way,thats a cool looking moped you have there.Jerry.

Jerry,

Where did you buy the heavy duty puncture resistant inner tubes? Also, how are the valve stems good?

Send me a link or email me please.

Many thanks,

Rob

These tubes can be found at most REAL bike shops,but NOT at discount stores.You want the super thick ones,not the preslimed ones.I don't put Slime in mine,because it can make them impossible to patch,and besides,if you carry a small bottle with you still have the option of putting it in.The stems are regular bicycle type non threaded,but I've had them in my Tomos for 1500 miles without a problem.The Tomos mag wheel supports the stem very well,and ANY stem,including screw types,can be broken off from riding on a flat.If you need any further information,let me know.Jerry.

I used that stuff on my tyre. Like most of the times, it didn't work. That stuff saved me only once, is expensive and is a pain to remove. No more of fix-a-flat for me

Jerry,

1,500 miles? I'm impressed!

Rob

What about those cans of schtuff that some people use on car tires? It's an aerosol that you put onto your stem - depress button, and it loads the tire up with some sort of foam sealant...

Anyone tried it?

Might be better than walking for 2 hours.

Fix-A-Flat? Duhhhh

I know a guy that took an old tire and cut off the sides and put it in the inside of the new tire and glued it. It may not be 100% smooth, granted, but it'll stop flats.

Are you certain the flats are coming from objects in the road, not the spokes puncturing the inner tube?

EK

It's spelled TIRE

Chill, You might notice he's not in the u.s.

Grey

For fixing on the road, bring a good set of tools, sorry i don't know the english term but since you are from Belgium, i think,

.be right?, it takes a set of moped "bandenlichters", for a total course on how to do it you can send me an email.

For the flat tyres, always make sure that your tire is still thick enough, not worn and apply enough pressure, normally it is around 3 bars.

And for long yourneys, i went on my sparta 3v to greece last june and didn't have a flat tire on the whole 2800km yourney and i am still driving the same tires for an extra 600 km now, grtz, Maarten

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account