Motobecane Help!

So I got a 79 50v today and it is in farly good shape. One of the things it is missing is whatever the conection on the back side of the engine engagement switch is. I'm not sure if its a spring or a cable or what nor do I know if it just conects to the lever on the backside or to something else. If you know and would like to help me that'd be rad. Thanks. -Nate

Re: Motobecane Help!

if you can find what part it is, i probably have a spare you can have.

--NB

How do I find out? Its whatever conects to the engine engagement switch on the back of the pulley with the crank on it. The switch so you can have it in pedal mode or engine mode. I also need a rear brake cable and a fuel cap if you have either of those.

Top diagram on: http://themopedjunkyard.com/motobpulley.html has the part(s) you are looking for.

Are you sure yours are missing/broken, and not just stuck from sitting? The engine engagement switch parts are famous for getting stuck and causing trouble.

they also break really often. Handy bikes has a nos pulley wheel from the motobecane seven that upgraded the mechanism and is less prone to breakage. I reccommend picking one up.

bret,

Interesting.. do you know in what year they introduced the improved design?

The pulley on the Seven was different(and better), the 50v always had the same pulley.

What you can do is once you have the lever engaged so that the pulley is driving the front sprocket, you can drill and tap a hole through the pulley into the lever and insert a thumbscrew 'pinning' the lever in place. You still will have the ability to switch to 'bicycle' mode (once you find the parts you are looking for). Jim ps...you should do the drilling/tapping with the pulley off the bike.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account