Honda express fuel problem

My 1980 honda express starts and runs great but when i shut it off alot of fuel runs out of the drain from the bottom of the bowl on the carburetor and i have to shut off the fuel petcock for it to stop,please help!!

Re: Honda express fuel problem

Leon Swarmer /

prolly the needle valve operated by the float inside the bowl.. a little bit of dirt there can do this.

You should check to see if the bowl drain is seated.

At the end of the season, you will normally empty the bowl so that old nasty gas doesn't sit in the carb all winter. If you have not seated this screw, the bowl will empty and the float will lower and the fuel will not turn off. What you have is a toilet that won't stop running. The solution is the same (I don't mean jiggle the handle though). You need to get the screw at the bottom of the bowl to seat.

You should always shut off the petcock when you're not riding by rule either way. Raw gas in the crank is all bad.

Mike

Glad to have found this question answered. I have the same problem. Figured it was either the float or needle valve, but was kinda chicken to actually take it apart to see. At least now I will know I am on proper path.

Also, my Honda Express SR NX50 does NOT have an on/off valve and I am not sure if the gasket in the valve is still functioning properly and actually stopping the fuel flow. Anyone else have this issue? Can we put an on/off valve onto the fuel line and stop the flow that way? If so, where do you get a generic valve from?

I appreciate the info! it makes total sense now i kind of figures that it was in the float. when i get it fixed i will post,thanks alot! Don.

Leon Swarmer /

Thought you might like a pic of some of the internals of an NC50 carb. Here is a the bottom of the carb top, the float, a retaining screw, the needle valve and a nickle just for a size comparison..

Leon

1127787610_nc50_internal_carb_bits.jpg

Leon Swarmer /

My Puch came with a hardware store shut off volve.. (not stock) it works, but I can't count on a reserve now.

Leon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account