Gurtner carb reassembly

Hello,

Having had several scooters I decided I wanted a moped next. I picked up a '79 Motobecane 50V on craigslist for $50 and got it running with just a new plug. It's pretty pokey and had been sitting unridden for an unknown amount of time so I decided to clean the carb. It has a Gurtner carb. I have gotten something wrong because it now leaks gas out the throat, ino the air filter.

What I am wondering is a couple things. The float has a shaft through it that has a point on one end. Does the point go up or down? Is the hole/tube at the top of the bowl that the float goes into just a vent to atmosphere?

Also, there is an o-ring under the float bowl lid. Where does this fit in relation to the paper gasket?

Lastly, the choke cable was gone so I used a generic one. I didn't know which way the brass part should go. One end is slightly smaller diameter than the other. Does the small part go up or down? And, when the choke lever is pulled, should the choke in the carb throat be fully open?

I looked at the manuals from mopedrider.org but they are not specific in these matters.

Anyway, thanks for any pointers.

Re: Gurtner carb reassembly

Jason Luther /

all i know is the point on the float goes up.

_Is the hole/tube at the top of the bowl that the float goes into just a vent to atmosphere?_

Yes, it's the bowl vent.

_Also, there is an o-ring under the float bowl lid. Where does this fit in relation to the paper gasket?_

The paper gasket is first fitted to the float bowl cover (tack it in place with a dab of grease) then the o-ring is fitted to the annular groove in the section of the cover that 'plugs' into the carb body. Lubricate the ring lightly so that it slips into place when the cover is installed, and doesn't try to ride up & become pinched.

_Lastly, the choke cable was gone so I used a generic one. I didn’t know which way the brass part should go. One end is slightly smaller diameter than the other. Does the small part go up or down? And, when the choke lever is pulled, should the choke in the carb throat be fully open?_

There are two different configurations for the choke cable, one which enters from the top, and one from the bottom. You could have either.

I believe that the small portion of the brass slide points down, but what is important, is that the 'choke' is fully open, when you pull the cable. I say 'choke' as it's not really a choke, but an enrichener device. They serve the same purpose - supplying a rich mixture for starting a cold engine.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Gurtner carb reassembly

Ah! Great responses all. Thanks so much.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account