how to determine if spark plug wire is ok?

i put a contact inside the plug cap and a contact at the opposite end where it connects to the coil... no continuity. should there be continuity or does the spark jump where the cap forms an "L" shape at the end?

Re: how to determine if spark plug wire is ok?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

If the wire center is copper, your meter should read zero ohms resistance. If it has a graphite center(resistor wire), Switch your meter to it's highest ohm scale, you should read something. The actual value varies with the length of the wire. If you get no meter movement, your wire is open and should be replaced. The best test is to remove the plug, hook the plug wire up, lay the plug on the case(ground), crank the engine and watch plug for a nice blue spark across the gap. Jim.

Okay, so what is the way to test the copper version? Other than hooking it up to the bike... Because I cant get a spark.. And im trying the process of elimination to see why I cant get a spark...

"If the wire center is copper, your meter should read zero ohms resistance. "

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/ ey Seth, In your original post you didn't say you had no spark you asked how to check a spark wire. Use the link to Fred's guide to check for spark. Keep us posted. Jim.

If this is an older bike (or most newer ones for that matter), it should have a stranded copper-core wire, with a screw-on resistor cap (1K-5K ohms).

You should have clean, bare copper on both ends. If not, trim 1/4" or so until you see clean copper. On the coil end, there are two possibilites: either there is a spike inside the coil that contacts the copper wire, or you strip off some insulation, flare the strands of wire out, and install it that way.

Hope this helps.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account