Puch fuel

I am repairing a 1978 Puch maxi-luxe for a neighbor boy and need a few questions answered. It says on the ped to use leaded fuel. Is it alright to use unleaded gas? Does the fuel line off the carb go to the front of the bike or the rear in route to the tank. I am repairing this bike for free because the boy doesn't have the money to repair it. He got the bike for free and it is in good shape with 2545 miles on it. What is the estimated value of this bike in case he decides to sell it. Thanks for any help in this matter.

Bob

Puch fuel

Unleaded gas is fine. The fuel line just goes right from the carb to the petcock on the gas tank. Maybe 6-8 inches long, so I'm not sure what you mean by front or back. I guess mine enters the carb from the front, since that's the direction the banjo bolt inlet faces. Should be worth around $300 if running but $400-$500 isn't out of the question for a particularly clean moped.

Re: Puch fuel

Well, I can least answer a couple I think...

Unleaded gas is fine to use...they never used leaded fuel - the warning was placed to prevent people from using white gas, or something like that.

Value is always a debate...I think people would agree that a non-functional bike could fetch up to 150.00 on the average, while a running bike would be around 300.00. Of course, if the paint is still shining, the value could go up. Low mileage is preferred, but you never know if the engine was swapped, or the speedo cable broke at one point and it wasn't replaced immediately; this would throw off any accurate reading of miles pretty easily. The only other factor that could up the price is how rare the ped is in the area. For instance, top-tanks seem to be rarer in the NorthEast, so pricing can be a bit slanted.

Re: Puch fuel

Thanks for the information guys. I can finish it up now and see if it runs.

Bob

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account