Garelli won't idle

Marco Parducci /

I am in desperate need of help. I own a 1979 Garelli Super Sport that I can’t keep running. No matter how much gas I give or how high the idle is turned up, when ever I come to a stop, the engine dies. These are the steps I have taken so far: Fresh gas; took carb apart and cleaned; checked spark and plug; the tail light and head light were not working and I found the short. The wires that go to the tail light were frayed and I repaired them. I used liquid electrical tape, then wrapped the wires in electrical tape. The fuel filter is only 4 months old. I don’t know what else to try. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also did a thread search and found some threads that may indicate a gasket problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Garelli won't idle

Leon Swarmer /

Which fuel filter is 4 months old? The banjo one on the carb?

An add on?

if you keep it above 5mph how does it ride?

Leon

this sounds like exactly the prob i am having with my 78 garelli supersport xl. if i figure it out i will tell ya.

My buddy is having the same problem with his 77 Garelli Gulp. We had to bore out the cylinder because the piston was rusted in. We thought that it had something to do with that. It runs, so it's fun anyways

My '77 SuperSport will NOT idle unless I let it warm up for at least five minutes before riding, which means I sit there and hold the throttle cracked open just enough to keep the engine from dying (but not too much to waste gas/blow smoke everywhere) for a while. Even after that, it'll still die on occassion within the first, say, ten minutes when coming to a stop. But after those initial sputters, it's full on and doesn't stall at all.

_wal

Marco Parducci /

The add on filter is new. I don't believe there is a bango filter. I took off the part that the fuel line attaches to and there isn't a screen or anything between the plastic part and the metal housing of the carb (does that make sense?). I may try to take the fuel line and by pass the filter and hook it straight to the carb to see if that fixes the problem. I figure if it does, then I found the problem. I am trying to start simple and get more complex.

Marco Parducci /

I had it running, nearly full throttle for about 20 minutes. I then stoped and it died. Then it is difficult to get started.

try cleaning the carb again that always works for me especially if I let it soak in cleaner over night. thanks Raymond

have you tried switching your jet out to a slightly smaller one? my garelli is bizarre to say the least, and a jet change helped a great deal. i have a friend whose supersport ran like shit until he switched over to a 15mm from the stock 14mm.

my buddies moby is (was) doing the same thing. turns out that on top of starvation issues (jet too small) the timing was off a good bit. check your points, check your condenser. we ran his the other day with a 68 jet, and it ran great! for about 20 minutes. and then; poop. not to mention a horrible backfire that blew his new muffler in half. but, one look at the points and you could tell they were shot. really dirty, and hitting at the wrong angle. check your magneto, look at your points. you can clean them while the magneto is on the bike, but it's a royal pain in the ass. good luck though

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account