My cure for rusty Sachs gas tank

Hello all Sachs Moped owners.

Received a 1980 Columbia Commuter in 1983 with 350 mile on it, I put 35 miles then stored in basement for last 15 years. The basement flooded twice to 24 inches during that time.

Naturally it wouldn't start, took to local cycle shop, he took the head off and said engine insides and gas tank too rusty to work repair, bought it home and decided to work on it myself.

It didn't have any spark, took cover off magneto and found the cam that points work off of was rusty holding points in open postion, took some Gum Out rust remover/lube, placed tiny drop on cam, turned magneto a couple turns to spread it, next day took 6" or so long spark plug file and scraped as much rust off ,around the cam.

Also took carburator apart and soaked overnite to clean it, next day took air-gun and blowed it out and reassembled it.

Gas tank was also rusty, so I built me a new one out of a 2 quart TupperWare liquid container, they have a super tight leak proof lid, drilled small hole in bottom of container, cut off about 3 inches of a Paper Mater ball point pen for out let, took a nut and screwed on to it and a plastic washer, took some black silicone adhesive sealant on it, pushed through hole. Took hot melt glue gun and sealed on outside. Set aside for 24 hours while black sealant cured.

Then I made a cradle with three 1" by 3" pieces of wood. Drilled 1 3/8" hole to insert old tank filler spout through, then secured with several 8" bungee cords purchased at Walmarts.

Laid TupperWare tank onto cradle, had gotten some cup hooks and put on side of cradle and then secured tank.

Put in new spark plug, in a cup or of fresh mixed gas/oil, let set overnight to check for leaks, next day, no leaks. Hopped on moped, peddled about 20 feet and by-gosh, it started and runs fine once I got needle valve adjusted properly when it warmed up. Will try to send pictures when I figure out how to do it.

My cure for rusty Sachs gas tank

Please do post pictures. THIS I want to see!

Re: My cure for rusty Sachs gas tank

Here is the tank attached to moped

1126834389_tupperware_gas_tank.jpg

wont the gas eat throught the plastic

Sorry about picture being too big, if this don't work I'll need to wait till tommoroo, too darn tired.

1126835075_gas_tank_attached_resized.jpg

No it won't, your weedeaters, chainsaw tanks are made of same material.

That's totally cool!

Here is the outlet made of a ball point pen barrel, I am watching for leaks, so far it has been two days, no leaks.

Also, after installing outlet, make sure outlet orifice is large enough, I found a drill bit that closely match shut off valve outlet and run drill gently all the way through.

My next task is trying to find a inline shut off valve to put in fuel line, and ideas out there?

1126838214_gas_tank_outlet_2.jpg

The tank on the moped looks like it is detacheable... cant you clean that?

John Joedicke /

Any lawnmower shut off will work for you.

Yes, what you see is the new gas tank which is detachable and cleanable, the original gas tank is part of the moped frame and not detachable and notoriously hard to clean.

Looks nice, Leefran. But you will probably need a vent hole somewhere in your tank, or it won't drain right.

True, and I did that by drilling small hole in filler hole in lid that was used to pour liquid out of TupperWare Container.

My one gallon gas supply can has a spout on it and it fits filler hole perfectly, no spillage.

Thanks, Double, will look into your suggestion soon.

And I thought I'd seen everything.

I applaud your ingenuity!

Thank you, fratbone, I am retired and 67 years old. Doing this takes me back to my old Cushman Motor Scooter days in the early 1950. I feel 16 again, I have gotten a great bit of my confidence back in my ability to solve problems.

I know of three mopeds within a two block area of my home here in Central Illinois, might buy them and refurbish them for resale.

That's GREAT!

There's no better feeling than getting an ailing moped up and running...and my mopeds always make me feel 16 again .P

You're carrying gas in a TUPPERWARE container,right above the engine,with homemade fittings?!!!And someone told me that carrying gas in heavy plastic jugs,in saddlebags was dangerous?You do realize that if the gas in that plastic container catches on fire,the fire is going to be right in your face?And all it might take to cause that is a minor drip from your homemade fittings dripping down on the hot engine and exhaust?I once,many years ago,had an old Honda CL450,that had several holes rusted in the gas tank.The bike already had a luggage rack on it,so I took a STEEL 2 gal. air tank,had a guy cut a hole in in it,and weld on a filler neck,and a threaded piece of pipe on the bottom that I could hook a gas line to,bolted the tank to the luggage rack,ran a fuel line to the carburetors,and it made a great gas tank.You might want to consider doing it that way.

Hi Jerry,

I feel my fittings are okay, the TupperWare is extremely tough and I got the idea from the gas tanks on weed eaters and chain saws and they are lighter material with extruded fittings, that said, I will look into you suggestion. Thanks.

id this temporarily with my 75 puch maxi. i did it with some fuel line. a glue gun and a bottle of apple juice. it was awesome becuase you could see the pink gas flow down into the carb. but then i forgot to drill a vnet hole and the flow was real cheap. i think i might need to kreem my tank again though its dirty as crap

So far, I have 25 miles on my setup, no leaks, think I will stick with it with improvements such as in-line shut off value and vinyl cover. From all the posts that I have read about rusty gas tanks and all the cures, well, I am am dubious about most of them and they seem temporary. I can filter my fuel as I fill my tank and observe any debris.

Watched a gal with a weed wacker the other day with a manufactured factory as original equipment, heavy opaque plastic gas tank and it worked fine and it was made as a intregal part of the weed wacker. This is where I got my idea.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account