1980 Columbia - No Spark

I took an old 1980 Columbia Commuter out of the shed. It used to run years ago then started having problems with it. It has a Sachs motor on it and it is getting no spark. How do I remove the cover on the magneto and what should i check?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: 1980 Columbia - No Spark

you need a magneto puller. i'm looking for one as well, if you happen to find anything. the tool itself has a bolt that threads into the hole in the center of the magneto, with a larger bolt that slides down into the hole around the center of the magneto. standard sockets will do you no good. i've checked pep boys and auto zone, but they don't sell small enough ones... check a tractor supply store maybe? if i find anything, i'll let you know. check your condenser, plug/gap, and plug wire as well. you may need new points, but condensers are easier to replace... maybe start there first

Thanks Dave. Ill check it out and let you know

Hi, Before doing anything drastic such a taking your magneto apart, try this. Chrome cover on magneto/generator can be removed by taking a long screw driver, stick it through top left side of motor and tap gently on top edge of cover lip and on either side, it will slip off eventually.

Hand rotate till points look like they are closed, may need small f lashlite to clearly see and look at cam, is it rusty? it will hold points open and they will never fire. If rusty take a can of Gum Out type lubricant and spray very gently on cam, do use more then one very gentle squirt. Rotate magneto to spread lube, let soak awhile, take the end of a real small file like you use ot file spark plugs and stick through slot in magneto and scrape as much rust off as you can, it will take awhile but it worked for me.

Is this a Sachs or Solo engined bike? My 1980 Columbia Open Road uses the Solo engine.

sachs engine - but i got the spark working. now i need to figure out best way to clean non removable gas tank on it.

Go to my recent thread (My answer to Rusty Sachs Gas Tanks) in this forum

Thannks Leefran Ill try that!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account