5HP Briggs

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of attaching a 5HP go-kart style Briggs and Stratton to a moped? It seems like it would work if you used a centrifugal clutch and fabricated some mounts. I'm not sure if there would be enough space or exactly how it would be mounted or if it is even possible, but I was wondering if anyone had done this or heard of it being done. I have a go-kart with a 5HP briggs motor on it and it's fast as hell and I'm sure it could be a lot of fun on a moped. It would obviously be tough to pass off to a cop if you got pulled over, but I'm just more interested in whether or not it could/has been done. Just an idea...

Re: 5HP Briggs

Anything CAN be done,but a 5hp Briggs is a lot bigger and heavier than any moped engine.It would involve a LOT of fabrication,and a great deal of thought.It would have to fit in the moped frame solidly,it would have to have some kind of clutch,and it would have to have a sprocket that lined up with the rear wheel,and fit the same size chain as the rear sprocket.You would also have to work out the proper gear ratio.As if that wasn't enough,did you plan on keeping the pedals?Even if they didn't do anything,no pedals is a dead giveaway that it is not a moped.However,if sombody can build a motorcycle with a Chevy V8(Boss Hoss),I'm sure it's possible to put a 5hp B&S on a moped.It won't be easy though.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Why B&S, when you can upgrade a moped engine with kits, pipes and carbs with little or no frame alteration. Jim.

Michael Romano /

I got to thinking, (Always a bad idea for me)! It can be done! Only way ive found is to mount to rear rack! there is real;ly not much to get in the way, but you will have to strengthen the rack considerably and the mount a piece of thick steel with the correct mounting holes. You would also have to weld the sprocket up to the centrifugal clutch, CuZ I dont believe they make a stock clutch with that size teeth!

michael!

Yeah I wasn't really planning on doing it, just wondering if anyone had seen anything like that. My go-kart will run 45 (I clocked it with a car) and i'm sure I could change the gearing and get more out of it since it has plenty of low end power. My Targa LX doesn't have pedals as it is since it's kick start so I'm not really worried about that and I would remove everything that said 5HP or whatever was on the motor and try to be as low key as possible, but obviously I'm sure a cop would eventually catch on. I'm not saying that my A35 doesn't do just fine but I was just thinking about it and wondering if it had been done.

if you want a bike to put it on, i'd suggest either a motobecane or (better) a peugeot. they've got variator clutches that would be a lot easier to hook the transmission up. then, pretty much all you have to figure out is how to mount the engine so that it pivots.

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

http://www.kartworld.com/ They may have a CVT for B&S. Jim.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account