1981 Honda Express SR Belt Driven Questions (TRANS

I have a 81 Express SR NX50 that is belt driven. After I many moth search I found a new belt for it. Now less then 100 miles later it is shot. The damn thing got worn down on the sides and now is slipping. What caused this? Which pulley is doing it? Looks like the rear pully on the clutch side is. ANyone good with these? Anywhere with in 200 miles of Cioncy that can work on this bike???

Tim

Re: 1981 Honda Express SR Belt Driven Questions (T

The belts will tend to wear in at first. Are you saying that all the adjustment is taken up?

Check your pully faces. If they are rusty they will wear a belt out quickly.

The adjustment is not taken up. I dont know how other belt driven work, but the pulleys on mine, front (off the motor) and back (on the clutch/trans) they literally open and close as spped goes up and down. My back pulley is rusty, that rust can eat up a belt?

Yes, rust (iron oxide) is very hard and abrasive.

It is almosst impossibel to disassemble the rear pully assembly. Take the belt off and get in there with a smooth flat file and file the rust off. Try not to file flat spots on the pully face.

Re-adjust the belt and you should be good to go.

Well my belt is shot, it slips now. You saw AJUST the belt when I put it in. HOW? I thought you just put it on the pullys and it did the rest on it's own.

The belt might not be shot.

Do you have the manual for your bike?

On my Hobbit the belt has to be adjusted so it is quite tight. I assume that your unit gets the same treatment.

Make the adjustment as shown in your manual, just make sure that when you lever the wheel back you get it even on both sides.

on these 81/82 Express SR's you can not adjsut the belts from what I can tell and the manual shop manual says nothing about it.

Hi ,

I just bought an 81 Express SR that needs electrical work. I ordered a new battery that is in transit to me.

It kick starts and the brake and running rear lights work but not the turn and headlights. The battery is dead.

Do you have a manual for this bike?

I f you you do, could you e mail or fax a copy of the wiring diagram to me.

Thanks

Juan C Farias

jcfrn@aol.com

Call your local Honda shop, I was able to get mine thru them, the manual that is.

Sounds like your blicker (winker they call it in the manual, ha ha ha) switch may be out. It is located under the seat. Pull the center white panel and it is right there.

take apart and clean all of the controls on handels with some sand paper, electrical cleaner spray,

use the electrical lube on switches to they last long.

open alternator cover on exhaust side, sand the inside of the magnet and faces of the charger

to test run 12v to the plain all yellow wire. it runs from the alt to the headlight.

your bike needs to be running for headlight to work

test head light itself with 12v

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account