leaky gas valve

So, mine has a leaky gas valve.

I'm a first time owner and I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to get fixed, but the leak grew from slow to pouring gas on my leg.

So... all the gas drains out and I need to fix the valve.

Any suggestions on how to go about doing this or if I should just bring it to a mobil service station?

Re: leaky gas valve

Leon Swarmer /

Forget the service station. They won't have the part, They'll won't want to mess with a piddly job and they are likely to overtorque it when they put it one.

The piece you are after is a called a petcock. Order one for your particular ped. You will need to disconnect the fuel line from it. (it could have a clamp on the fuel line or just pushed over barbs). The the petcock will most likely unscrew from the tank (counter clockwise but remember you are working upside down here.) There could be a filter or screen that comes out with it Replace it with good stuff.

Do this in a well ventilated area. Try not to get too much fuel on you and don't let anyone smoke Depending on the condition of your hose, you might want to replace it too.

Leon

I just posted my outcome with a leaky petcock on this forum. Take a look for this and other referneces.

Found a replacment on-line at ikesbikes.com for my 1978 Swinger 2.

Replacement is not hard to do but be careful with the gas and note the reverse threads when installing.

Leon Swarmer /

Reverse threads???? would they be left hand thread if your head was on the ground looking UP?

Leon

My suggestion is _DON"T SMOKE WHILE RIDING TILL YOU FIX IT_ :P

My suggestion would be DON'T SMOKE PERIOD WHEN YOUR AROUND GAS! Or even better: DONT SMOKE AT ALL! lol

But my petcock is leaking as well on my 1979 PUCH Maxi 2-Speed and it is quite aggitating, any suggestions for me? (sorry, I didn't mean to steal your forum!)

The cost of a new petcock will quickly be alot cheaper than all the gas that will leak out. It's a good idea to wrap the threads that the petcock is going to screw on to, with some teflon tape, that's available at any hardware store, for right around a buck. Use at least 3-4 wraps. I'm not going to say they can't be fixed, but it's usually not worth the hassle.

My 2 cents,

C3

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account