SUZUKI FA 50 PROBLEMS

I just got a 1986 suzuki fa 50... it was sitting in some guys garage for three years... I did a little work on it yesterday and got the thing runnin... I don't know a whole lot about these engines, and i have hoses that are disconnected and some look to be missing. does anyone know where i can get a picture, or a engine map of what goes to what.... It confused me because it starts up great and runs.. I have a little bit of white smoke coming from the exhaust, and it is really boggs out. i have to hold the throttle at a certain point so it doesn't bogg out. it also wont go over 20 mph. I am also leaking gas... but i am sure that has to do with the hoses... Does this sound like it can be saved? any help would be great...

thanks

chad.

Re: SUZUKI FA 50 PROBLEMS

I ride an fa-50 everyday and have similar problems. I was able to ebay a manual but the photos are terrible and it didn't satisfy my needs very well.

Make sure that the white plastic filter is tightly fitted.

Strangely, just yesterday, I went over a pothole and the top speed jumped from 20mph to 25mph! weird, right?

Kurt Catelin /

check the exhuast port on the cilinder. They tend to block due to exhaust residu

Adrian Koester /

If It seems to bog out, that is either because your fuel mix is bad, or because your filter is not connected properly. Make sure the filter and cover are on, it needs this to get proper fuel. If fuel is leaking, make sure that the primer hose and supply hose are going to the proper ports on the carb.

ok ur problem may be that u havent even looked at ur fuel filter take a bucket of gas and fill it 2 inches up take the filter out carefuly and put filter in gas use paint brush and wipe it down

that may help u get over 20

all I had to do to mine was get a new oil tank for it because that was leaking... but then i got new gas tubes and replaced the battery and all the things I could find to replace it made the speed go from 12 mph to 37mph... so it really helped it.

37 Hugh that's unheard of for that scooter mine barely goes 25 and I had to partially obstruct the air intake on the entrance hole for the air cleaner to get it to do that speed. it seems to have trouble tacking out to top end, Ive cleaned and re cleaned everything including the muffler, carb, and everything else but the only thing that works is closing off some of that air, I used a little chrome tape around the entrance hole of the air cleaner.

37? Thats super fast for the Fa's are you sure there isnt something else you did to it other than new gas lines? I would love to get mine cruising at that speed

from 12 to 37 just doing a battery oil tank and lines? you must have had straight up shit from a donley in the lines. and now you moved to jersey which picked up like 15 mph

I ALSO HAVE A PROBLEM. I WAS RIDDING MY FA50 LAST THURSDAY AND ALL OF A SUDDEN IT BOGGED OUT. KNOW IT DOESN'T WANT TO START CAN YOU GUYS HELP ME OUT. THINK IT MIGHT BE THE CARB.

the reason it only goes 20 is because it is so old. if you are missing any hoses, you could find some rubber tubes at your local hardware store. the reason smoke is coming out of the exaust pipe, is because it mixes the oil and gas together and that is the result. if your moped cannot sit at idle, try to sstart it with the choke startig at the left the when it sputters into life, quickly flip it over. the s stands for strt and the r stands for run. if you need a map of the motor, go to any suzuki delership, they might have one if not go online. the gas line connects to the switch that says on, res, off. it goes from there to behind the white thing where the air filter goes.

the reason it only goes 20 is because it is so old. if you are missing any hoses, you could find some rubber tubes at your local hardware store. the reason smoke is coming out of the exhaust pipe, is because it mixes the oil and gas together and that is the result. if your moped cannot sit at idle, try to start it with the choke starting at the left the when it sputter into life, quickly flip it over. the s stands for start and the r stands for run. if you need a map of the motor, go to any suzuki dealership, they might have one if not go online. the gas line connects to the switch that says on, res, off. it goes from there to behind the white thing where the air filter goes.

Just got a FA50 that was sitting, I took apart the carb and cleaned it out until it looked new. It has a problem that I can't figure out... help!

I can get it up to 20 easing the throttle and partial choke. Once I crack the throttle more it bogs down and wants to stall out. I've tried all kinds of screw configs, its got new gas, OLD oil (but didnt think that would effect it), and I didn't do anything more to it, thinking it was a fuel problem.

Any ideas appreciated.

Shawn

Let me add to this post...

No air filter installed

Running 87 octane

Set the carb how the manuals say

No change in RPM when messing with the air screw on the carb

A little bit of choke helps it

E-Clip set as spec in manual (on throttle cable)

Sprayed Carb Cleaner to test for intake leaks, negative

My FA50 would not even start with no filter. The carb is tuned to that filter, so unless you upjet, run that filter. Mine, with a thoroughly cleaned carb and a clean exhaust had no difficulty doing 30mph. I sometimes wonder how many of these bikes have leaking chokes. The choke on this carb does not restrict air but opens up a cold running or enriching jet that adds extra fuel. If that thing isn't sealing properly, how much fuel could it be introducing into the mix?

So according to that theory, (which makes sense, because with more air, one must match more fuel), then moving the carb jet to a richer position may not only solve my problem but it may make me pass through 30mph?

Update

I just did a compression test, 110 at WOT

Btw, battery is dead, doubt that will effect anything.

The richer position on the jet made things worse, I can only get to about 17 mph now before bog.

WOT or fast rate on throttle is total bog :(

Help

Shawn

Just change the rings, you will thank yourself.

B. P. Gretenhart /

a friend just dropped off a non-working fa 50. its been in a barn for 3 years. no key yet. its getting mailed to us by his relatives next week.

if 25mph is a good speed on this thing, i dont even know if i wanna fix it.

Frostback Ditch /

Hey Ben, my Suzi Q hits about 35mph. Sure it has a Simo pipe, and I ported the exhaust port a bit, but it is possible.

Hi....I am a new 1985 fa50 owner (for $50.00 with title) and new to this forum. Have gleaned tons of excellent info and now have it running. I'm getting ready to adjust the float.....but I have one question. What is "WOT" Thanks.

Wide open throttle

Only problem I have with my fa 50 is that when I open the throttle about half way it hits its sweet spot but any farther and it bogs. I have replaced the plug, the wire, the battery, the filter, the pet cock, the hoses, the filters, the ground wire, the main hot wire, cleaned and set the carb, (replaced the needle ,spring and seals). I checked the spark and it is fine. I cleaned the exhaust port and muffler and replaced the piston rings. The cylinder was fine ( no scoring or scratches). It flows oil and gas with no problem and in short runs great. 25 to 30 mph. What I want to know is how can I adjust the throttle so It can rotate through a wider turn to reach the sweet spot?

1255058212_my_truck_2.jpg

SUZUKI FA 50 PROBLEMS

Fred Melonhead /

first of all

"there is some white smoke coming out the exhaust "

.. yes ! ... and there had better be some smoke coming out of it !

this is a 2 stroke !

... it absolutely has to have oil in the oil tank under the seat (and then pumping into the engine) ... or the engine will melt down and becone scrap

so make sure there is (2 stroke) oil in there ... then the best thing is to make sure the oil pump is actually pumping oil

If you are not sure right now ... its best to "pre-mix" some 2 stroke oil with the gas in the gas tank

TEXT..Hey Fred.

.I like your idea about making sure that the oil is pumping and if it is not premix the fuel as you would do for a chain saw....However, what would be the correct ratio?

50:1 would work fine. Using good oil.

i have a manual that i downloaded on the internet. it covers everything. if your interested you can reply and i might be able to find it again.

it was on the internet and it cost around 8 bucks

I have had my Suzuki for just about 4 years now, and all I did with it was change the gear oil, adjust the idol, and clean out the pipe. I guess thats all I needed to do, cause now I have the thing pegged at 40 uphill!

Your not doing 40 uphill with it i could see that maybe down a hill.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account